members

online now

discussions

"Too many sessions opened" when attempting to send email

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

"Too many sessions opened" when attempting to send email

Hello,

First off, Win7, Thunderbird (latest). Everything was working fine today until around 3:45pm or so eastern time. At that point I could no longer send email from one laptop. This is all on my home Comcast network/wifi. The full error is:

An error occured while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: resomta-ch2-11v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-11v.sys.comcast.net Too many sessions opened.

I restarted my email client and rebooted the laptop and still get the error. What's strange is I have another win7 laptop on the same wifi, running the same version of Thunderbird, etc and that has no problems sending.

I ran a virus scan and malwarebytes scan just this morning before any of this happened (just randomly) and everything was clean. Is this actually an issue on my side/with this one particular laptop, or is it an issue on Comcast's side? I've searched around for the error but haven't seen anything recent. Usually with the "too many sessions" error there's error 421, or similar, and that isn't happening in my case.

I've checked all server settings and they're as recommended (I uses POP3 but receiving email isn't a problem).

Edit: I just noticed I can no longer send mail from my cell phone on the same wifi (using K9 mail). Disconnect from wifi and it sends.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: "Too many sessions opened" when attempting to send email

Looks like I can send now so hopefully it was just some kind of temporary glitch on Comcast's end.

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Re: "Too many sessions opened" when attempting to send email

Looks like I can send now so hopefully it was just some kind of temporary glitch on Comcast's end.