New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

"Guest Account" on my Comcast Wireless Router

ANSWERED
New Poster

"Guest Account" on my Comcast Wireless Router

Hello,

My inlaws are arriving soon and always want me to give them the security key to log into my wireless router. I always decline not knowing where they are going next.

My question is - can I setup a guest account on the WiFi router that let's them get to the internet but not to my home network?

Seems like this should be possible but I have logged into the router and haven't seen a setup area for this.

Thanks for the help.

Accepted Solution

Re: "Guest Account" on my Comcast Wireless Router

Isn't there another choice??

(if there is sufficient time before the inlaws arrive)

exchange gateway for : 

The newer Comcast gateways, that have a separate built in (public) (comcast) wifi Hotspot.

If the inlaws are also Comcast customers, they log into the hotspot using their own Comcast account logon info.  

The hotspot is separate from your own account & connection to Comcast, & has no connection to your Lan network.    Even if then putting those Hotspot gateways in bridged mode to use one's own router, the wifi hotspot is still active, afaik.  

*You can later disable (opt-out) having the hotspot active and probably re-enable it later also, in your online MyAccount (likely) MyServices section, & also by calling Comcast.

View answer in context
Problem Solver

If you are wanting to block guests from your side of the network. You really need to go with a router that offers both capabilities. You can still use the gateway from Comcast. You just have to call in and have them place it into "Bridged" mode.
Problem Solver

Isn't there another choice??

(if there is sufficient time before the inlaws arrive)

exchange gateway for : 

The newer Comcast gateways, that have a separate built in (public) (comcast) wifi Hotspot.

If the inlaws are also Comcast customers, they log into the hotspot using their own Comcast account logon info.  

The hotspot is separate from your own account & connection to Comcast, & has no connection to your Lan network.    Even if then putting those Hotspot gateways in bridged mode to use one's own router, the wifi hotspot is still active, afaik.  

*You can later disable (opt-out) having the hotspot active and probably re-enable it later also, in your online MyAccount (likely) MyServices section, & also by calling Comcast.

New Poster

Thanks.  That makes sense.  Will look into with Comcast.

New Poster

Thanks to you both - this is good information.  My inlaws are not Comcast customers - Time Warner I think - but perhaps Time Warner has hotspots around here.  I do have an Xfinity WiFi connection here - I could log them in with my credentials and that would be OK.  Good advice!  I had overlooked it.

Thanks again

Cable Expert

If they are Time Warner internet subscriber, they can use their TW logon credentials to use the Comcast hotspots.  You will find the Comcast hotspots also have a ssid of "cablewifi", select this and a web page will come up to choose your internet provider and enter the logon and password.

Comcast, Time Warner, Brighthouse, Cablevision and Cox are all sharing their hotspots between subscribers with the proper level of service.  Anytime a internet subscriber travels and sees the hotspots from these 5 providers can use their own accont logon to use the hotspots, so a TW sub can use any of these 5 companie's hotspots using their own logon.

It works as I use the Brighhouse hotspots in my travels without problem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation