New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

pop up ads while composing email

New Poster

pop up ads while composing email

Hello there:

Will you please stop the pop up ads that interupt and obscure my screen while I am trying to use my email? This is bad enough for me to discontinue my service with your company.

Or tell me how I can block them.

Thanks

David Shepard

New Poster

Re: pop up ads while composing email

I am having the same problem as David Shepard. I can't reply as the reply button

is blocked from a pop up ad that will not go away.

I am ready to switch companies as well. 

Please help!

Todd White

Eugene, OR.

Frequent Visitor

I share your sentiments as well........It is bad enough that I will leave Comcast.

I am unable to access email inbox, sent messages and the top 5 -6 categories. No way to move the ad - close it or otherwise get rid of it. AND it just stays there.....making it impossible to use or read your primary email acct.

I have never seen anything like this. It doesn't get someone's attention except through sheer irritation. 

Any solutions - suggestions??

Comcast should eradicate them immediately.

JK

New Poster

I am in agreement with the last message in regards to pop up ads while using and/or reading the inbox. These ads are supposed to stay on the right side of the inbox. Now they are popping up on the left side where all the control links are. When I use this email to work it has been delaying my responses to emails. Please fix this ASAP. S. Johnson 

New Poster

Ads blocking e-mail controls

Although I have turned off my pop-up blockers, the annoying ads persist in appearing while I am reading the e-mail. They appear at the same place that controls such as "reply" and "forward" are, so I have to move over them which causes them to play.

They then move over to the left and I can close them, but they reappear when I move on to the next e-mail.

I pay plenty of money for a comcast account and should not have to be plagued by these annoying adds. I do not have this problem with free gmail or hotmail accounts, so should not have to put up with them with a service that I pay for.

New Poster

I am having this same issue. It should be given top priority or will cost Comcast many customers if they can get better service from free e-mail accounts like gmail and hotmail.

Email Expert

All ISPs use advertising for the revenue stream. You do have some control over what ads you see. Underneath any ad on the right side of the screen, click on "Ad Info". That will explain how you can opt out of some, but not all advertising. Or-----use a browser add-on called "AdBlock Plus". That will eliminate all of them. An even better option would be to use an email client like Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail. That way you don't even have to look at the Comcast UI, and no ads.

Ads are part of what you signed up for when you got Comcast as your ISP.

And I have to say-----I never get pop-up ads in my Comcast email.  I don't know why some people do unless maybe it's a regional thing?  What are the ads for anyway?  Is it for Comcast products or something else?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

So far clicking on the ad info seems to have stopped it, but other posts indicate that it doesn't completely stop them, so I'll see what happens over the next week or so.

Other e-mail providers have ads in the margins, but they don't block critical functions like reply and forward, thus forcing you to click on the add. I did not sign up for that when signing up for Comcast. This seems to be a new and intrusive add technique which has infuriated many Comcast customers (see similar posts to mine). If that were to become a requirement of being a Comcast customer, I am sure I could easily find another Internet provider - in fact I get ads for other services all the time.

The ads are for things like cars and other items - not Comcast related at all. I didn't pay a lot of attention to what they were about.

Bronze Problem Solver

Thunderbird.  Free.  NO ADS.  Infinetly better than Comcast's webmail.  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Regular Visitor

Annoying Pop-Up Ad

A pop-up ad from Beaman Auto covers the inbox on my email page and prevents me from accessing my inbox. It is infuriating, because even if I try to X out of it, it will not go away. And I want it to go away. Please help.

Regular Visitor

Most arrogant of all, not one single Comcast representative has had the courtesy to come on this forum and explain this outrage. This is a company that is out of control.

Email Expert

OK it's starting to sound more and more to me like this is a browser related issue, and not much to do with Comcast.  I am using Chrome and Firefox on an iMac, and I'm not getting any pop-up ads in my Comcast email pages.  I'm using IE-11 and Chrome on a Dell laptop running Windows 8.1, and I'm not getting any there either.

As a check, try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history including cookies, then close it out and re-start it in a fresh session.  You could also try using a different browser.  Do either one of those things change anything for you?  And I have to ask the obvious------do you have the pop-up blocker turned on in your browser?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

So far clicking on the ad info and clicking no ads did solve the problem.

Previous to that, I had cleared cache and turned on pop-up blockers, neither had had any effect.

I would suggest to users that they click on "ad info" below the ad (once you swipe over it and it moves to the left) and say that you don't want any more ads.

So far, this has taken care of the annoying pop up ads (even after I turned my pop-up blockers back off - I need them off for work programs), only a small ad in the bottom left hand side that does not interfere with the e-mails remains.

Valued Contributor

1)  use an emailer to download the mail for reading off-line.

2)  the "pop ups" serve to use up your quota allowed for transfers of data to get you to pay extra to Comcast for "over usage" :-)

3)  especially those popups that run a video........

New Poster

Thanks !- 'Ad Info" worked. This issue just "popped up out of the blue" and annoying is putting it mildly.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. I'm furious. I have lost fully composed emails and am blocked from doing what I need to do. The ads make the site unfunctional. Very ready to switch to another company.

New Poster

Same issue...Comcast sucks! Anything they can do make their customers lives more miserable!  Changing companies...

New Poster

I CANNOT get the Pier 1 Ad to go away from the left of my inbox--blocks all the functions from that side of the screen--Can't wait to get rid of comcast. I'm using a mac and safari--will try chrome or firefox... very annoying!!

Email Expert

marciemoo wrote:

I CANNOT get the Pier 1 Ad to go away from the left of my inbox--blocks all the functions from that side of the screen--Can't wait to get rid of comcast. I'm using a mac and safari--will try chrome or firefox... very annoying!!

I am on a Mac using Safari and I am not getting what you are describing.  Do you have the pop-up blocker enabled in Safari enabled?  Also, have you been to the Pier 1 website before?  If so, try clearing your browsing history in Safari.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

We are long time Comcast customers for three services; phone, internet and TV.  I am ready to get rid of all of them.  The pop up ads that are now showing up on my email page are annoying to say the least!  For the amount of money we pay for our services, we should not have to be subjected to these invasive irritating ads. I have gone the Comcast's page that lets you turn off the ads, but they come back after a day or two.