Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

password recovery cell phone

Contributor

password recovery cell phone

I think I saw this discussed on here before.  I sincerely would like someone from Comcast to explain the logic behind offering 6 email accounts per household account, but you cannot use a cell phone for password recovery of more than 1 email ?  I know they started offering cell service, Is it a marketing tactic ?

Tags (2)
Email Expert

Re: password recovery cell phone

This is a new security feature in Comcast. They want you to provide two methods to contact you, like two factor authentication. So in the event your Comcast account were to be hacked, they would have another email address to send you a password recovery link, and the phone # so they could send you a code to enter for the recovery. They need a non-Comcast email address from you to do that. It wouldn't do any good for them to try to contact you at the Comcast address as that is the one that was hacked. That's why it won't accept a Comcast address in that field. So you need to provide an email address from some other email provider like Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail, AOL or some other that you might have as the alternate.

If you don't have a cell phone, you are supposed to be able to use a security question instead. Click on the little question mark to the right of either Email or Phone Number to see if it offers that option.  Keep in mind that the way Comcast accounts are structured the original intent was to provide an email account for up to 7 different people in the same household.  So it's more likely that they would have another cell phone # or non-Comcast email account of their own.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: password recovery cell phone

Latoque wrote:

This is a new security feature in Comcast. They want you to provide two methods to contact you, like two factor authentication. So in the event your Comcast account were to be hacked, they would have another email address to send you a password recovery link, and the phone # so they could send you a code to enter for the recovery. They need a non-Comcast email address from you to do that. It wouldn't do any good for them to try to contact you at the Comcast address as that is the one that was hacked. That's why it won't accept a Comcast address in that field. So you need to provide an email address from some other email provider like Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail, AOL or some other that you might have as the alternate.

If you don't have a cell phone, you are supposed to be able to use a security question instead. Click on the little question mark to the right of either Email or Phone Number to see if it offers that option.  Keep in mind that the way Comcast accounts are structured the original intent was to provide an email account for up to 7 different people in the same household.  So it's more likely that they would have another cell phone # or non-Comcast email account of their own.

Thank you Latoque for responding, I won't  go into it, that your reply is not what my question was addressing.  I tried to avoid this by clearly stating that I wanted a Comcast employee to respond, which I know you are not.  I know how "the new security feature" works.  My point was, I have one cell phone, and more than one email account on Comcast.  It's simple enough to understand why I'm asking, I have a number of email accounts with Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and others. Why would I want or need a second cell phone just to verify my Comcast email address?  You say 'they' want  two factor authentication, I'm the customer, I should have some say. I'm starting to question why I defend Comcast to the haters and bashers all the time. BTW, other providers don't have a problem with one cell phone for two email accounts.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation