Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

not receiving emails into mac mail

New Poster

not receiving emails into mac mail

The last email that came into my mac mail was monday the 21st.  I can log into mail on my comcast and it is all there but, it doesn't get sent from comcast to my mail box on my computer. I verified my mac mail settings and they are ok. what do I need to do from here?

Email Expert

Re: not receiving emails into mac mail

Take a look at this article.  Click on "Not Recieving Email".  See if it applies to you-----------------

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/230/Common+issues+with+Apple+Mail#gs/-not-receiving-email--

Also, did you try just quitting Mail and then re-starting it?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Yes, i have tried several times but, no change. We also noticesd that we can't send outgoing mail from mac mail either.

Official Employee

priddy8013 wrote:

Yes, i have tried several times but, no change. We also noticesd that we can't send outgoing mail from mac mail either.

Please give our Customer Security Assurance team a call.  They can help with more advanced troubleshooting.  Their number is (888) 565-4329 .

Thanks,

-- ComcastDouglasM

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Seeing the same problem on my sisters system. OS X (10.6.8). Not loading mail after morning of July 21 2014. I can create a temporary account on my system with her user settings and all emails up to current load OK. Tried Mozilla Thunderbird on her system and see same issue so it is not a client problem. I suspect it is an issue with POP3 or SSL at the operating system level. But it appears to be related to some change on the comcast server made on the 21st. I don't know enough about the POP protocol to explain why this only affects mail put on server after sometime on the 21st. I will try to talk to a system administrator at comcast.

Wayne Anderson

New Poster

I should of noted that my system is also a Mac using Mac Mail, but it's considerably newer running OS X (10.9.3)

Wayne Anderson

New Poster

Follow-UP: Found the problem is related to certain attachments. I'm not sure what the particular technical details might be, but it appears that Comcast administrators made some change on July 21 that affects the way attachments are handled. On MacOS (10.6.8) there is apparently an issue that causes the server to timeout when the email client sends a retrieve (RETR) command for an email with certain attachments. This has the effect of blocking all subsequent emails. If I have my sister get into her Comcast account via web browser and delete the offending email, others will load (at least up to a point where another email with an attachment is encountered)

Note: This problem does not occur using a newer version of OS X.

Note2: The issue seems to occur with a particular senders PDF documents and it may be due to attachment size (around 1.3 Meg). However no problem occurred with this machine prior to July 21 even with large attachments.

Wayne Anderson

Bronze Problem Solver

wanderon wrote:

Follow-UP: Found the problem is related to certain attachments. I'm not sure what the particular technical details might be, but it appears that Comcast administrators made some change on July 21 that affects the way attachments are handled. On MacOS (10.6.8) there is apparently an issue that causes the server to timeout when the email client sends a retrieve (RETR) command for an email with certain attachments. This has the effect of blocking all subsequent emails.

That's almost certain to be a problem with your email client, not the server. It's not at all unusual for email clients to "gag" on a message. Servers just have to send a stream of characters, clients have to sort out various lines in the header, and sort out the MIME parts. And different email clients "gag" on different messages. I'm using my current email client because the one I was using previously was making a habit of "gagging" on messages.

New Poster

Just changed my password

I KNOW I have to plug in the password again to get my messages into y Mac Mail account, but I CANNOT REMEMBER WHERE !  Can someone tell me ?  Thanks !

Email Expert

rpoulton wrote:

Just changed my password

I KNOW I have to plug in the password again to get my messages into y Mac Mail account, but I CANNOT REMEMBER WHERE !  Can someone tell me ?  Thanks !

Open Mail.  Then click on Mail>>>>>>Preferences>>>>>>Accounts tab.  Then click on the account.  You will see the field for the password about half way down the box.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks SO MUCH - yes, I was looking in the wrong place -  I needed to change it in MAIL

best wishes

REP