online now

discussions

netgear wnr3500 and new arris telephone/router connections

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2 (4,362 Views)

netgear wnr3500 and new arris telephone/router connections

I used to have a motorola modem hooked up to my WNR3500 which served as a wired and wireless network to my home and home office.  Comcast voice add on switched out my modem with the combo telephony internet modem/router and now I have problems.  I disabled the DHCP on the WNR3500 and had the comcast modem/router hooked into a port on the WNR3500, but not the INTERNET port. Things were ok, but I had no ability to login to my WNR3500.  

Since the comcast modem/router has no ability to disable DHCP, it looks like I have to use it to assign IP's on my network, but what I want to do is use the WNR3500 to do the wired and wireless connection routing.  Problem is how to set up the WNR3500.  I would like to have all on the same IP and subnet, but when I set it up that way, I cant access the WNR3500 anymore even when I set a static ip within the range.  I have it set up now with the comcast modem/router LAN on 192.168.123.x and the other computers wired and wireless on a 192.168.1.x.  Since doing that, i can log into the WRN3500 but everything is slow slow slow and unreliable.  Essentially I want the comcast modem/router to not be a router, but act as a modem as I have everything plugged into the WNR3500 and want to keep it that way.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY
Posted by
Edited on
‎12-17-2012 06:10 PM

Connection Expert

Message 2 of 2 (4,358 Views)

Re: netgear wnr3500 and new arris telephone/router connections

[ Edited ]

mmcbride01 wrote:
  Essentially I want the comcast modem/router to not be a router, but act as a modem as I have everything plugged into the WNR3500 and want to keep it that way.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated.

You need to call in and have Comcast place it in to "bridge mode" for you.

Use this number to reach the dept. / techs that do this every day; 1-800-363-2416.

Be advised that we have been seeing posts here lately indicating long wait times at that number. If you can't get through, try sending a private forum message to one these employees;

ComcastSteve: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/214920
ComcastLarry: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4671561
ComcastMattV: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5011913

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program