Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

keep deleted emails available

ANSWERED
New Poster

keep deleted emails available

How do I set my preferences to keep my deleted emails available for a longer period.

Sometimes I need to go back to view a deleted email, and it has disappeared, evidentally forever.

Accepted Solution

Re: keep deleted emails available

@waltyoung wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

The sad thing is, that sometimes you think there is no reason to save an email, but later you realize that there is a reason to refer back to that email, and it’s gone, not available. There used to be a choice in preferences to decide/choose how long deleted emails remain available before being totally deleted. Like 30 days, 60 days, etc..... Apparently that option is no longer available and  messages in the deleted email folder stay in that folder, available for viewing, only maybe a week at most? Then they’re gone. 

It would be great if, from the hundreds of emails I get, i could know at the time of receipt, I might need to refer back to that specific email. Since I’m not clairvoyant, and it wouldn’t be practical to keep all of those messages in my IN box, I’ll just have to figure out a way to save messages somewhere, rather than deleting them. I’ll try to create another folder and use it instead of the deleted messages folder for everything so in case I realize later that I need to view one again, it will be there. 

Thanks!

Emails are kept indefinitely until you delete them, with the exception of the Spam and Trash folders-----------

Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first
Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first

You cannot change them.   After an email has been in the Trash folder for 14 days, it drops off into a hidden folder/feature called "Recover Deleted Items".  Right-click on the Trash folder and you will see it.  Click on that and follow the prompts----------------

For information on the "Recover Deleted Items" feature, see here---------

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/recover-deleted-email/

As others have suggested, if this arrangement doesn't suit you, you can always create a local folder and move old emails there.  Two things to consider if you do that;  1)  The Trash icon in the toolbar will still only send messages to the Trash folder.  So you will still need to manually move them there using the Move icon or by dragging and dropping them into the local folder.  2)  The contents of the local folder will count against your total storage allowance in Comcast.  A consideration if you are getting close to busting your 10 Gb limit.  The Trash folder does not count against it.

View answer in context
New Poster

Uhhh...How about stop deleting them until you are ready to delete them?  Add a new folder and move email messages that you want to keep in there.

Contributor

Create a folder and move them there.
New Poster

Thanks for your reply.

The sad thing is, that sometimes you think there is no reason to save an email, but later you realize that there is a reason to refer back to that email, and it’s gone, not available. There used to be a choice in preferences to decide/choose how long deleted emails remain available before being totally deleted. Like 30 days, 60 days, etc..... Apparently that option is no longer available and  messages in the deleted email folder stay in that folder, available for viewing, only maybe a week at most? Then they’re gone. 

It would be great if, from the hundreds of emails I get, i could know at the time of receipt, I might need to refer back to that specific email. Since I’m not clairvoyant, and it wouldn’t be practical to keep all of those messages in my IN box, I’ll just have to figure out a way to save messages somewhere, rather than deleting them. I’ll try to create another folder and use it instead of the deleted messages folder for everything so in case I realize later that I need to view one again, it will be there. 

Thanks!

New Poster

Thanks,

ill try to do that.

Email Expert

@waltyoung wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks!

Emails are kept indefinitely until you delete them, with the exception of the Spam and Trash folders-----------

Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first
Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first

You cannot change them.   After an email has been in the Trash folder for 14 days, it drops off into a hidden folder/feature called "Recover Deleted Items".  Right-click on the Trash folder and you will see it.  Click on that and follow the prompts----------------

For information on the "Recover Deleted Items" feature, see here---------

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/recover-deleted-email/

As others have suggested, if this arrangement doesn't suit you, you can always create a local folder and move old emails there.  Two things to consider if you do that;  1)  The Trash icon in the toolbar will still only send messages to the Trash folder.  So you will still need to manually move them there using the Move icon or by dragging and dropping them into the local folder.  2)  The contents of the local folder will count against your total storage allowance in Comcast.  A consideration if you are getting close to busting your 10 Gb limit.  The Trash folder does not count against it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank You Latoque!

I have a Mac, and am not sure what a right click is.....

But, I was able to locate the "Recover Deleted Items" folder, which to my surprise, went back about three months! So, I was able to locate the few emails I needed to review. Thanks!

I am wondering, though, since most of what was in that folder was more than 14 days old, do you know why anything older than 14 days old is still there? Especiallly if what gets deleted is 14 days old or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first. I didn't count how many messaages were in the folder, but the messages that were as old as 14 days old did come before 5,000. 

Thanks again!

Email Expert

On a Mac, Cntrl-click = right-click on a Windows keyboard.  I use a Magic Trackpad for my iMac and I just tap it with two fingers to right-click.  

The 14day/5000 rule is for the actual Trash folder.  Emails should drop out of there and into "Recover Deleted Items" after that.  They are supposed to stay in there 30 days from the time you either delete them from Trash manually, or they drop out on their own.  However, as you have seen now, it can go back further than that.  Why I have no idea.  In the old email format, we would see frequent requests from people who had deleted something and then thought better of it later on.  Getting them back meant jumping through a lot of hoops and telephone time with Comcast.  So the decision was taken to initiate this feature.  That said, once they drop out of the recovery folder they are gone for good.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation