Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

is there a way to put Comcast Mail on my taskbar?

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

is there a way to put Comcast Mail on my taskbar?

Hi,

I always used Outlook Express for my email program until a few days ago when I purchased a new computer (HP Pavilion p7-1157c) running Win7 Home with IE9. 

While using Outlook Express I was able to minimize the program to the taskbar after opening it and everytime I got an incoming email an 'envelope' would appear on the right side of the taskbar towards the clock.

Is it possible to do the same thing when using Comcast Mail?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Accepted Solution

Re: is there a way to put Comcast Mail on my taskbar?

I also have Windows 7.  Go to the Comcast email preview page, and then click and drag the url icon down to the Taskbar.  Drop it in and it will pin itself to the bar.  But what it appears to do is just copy the current session of whatever browser you are using.  It's not a separate Comcast icon.  And it saves to the taskbar, and not the system tray.  I don't know if there is any other way to do it.  I'm still learning W7 and IE9.  I will work more with it later today, and if I can find a better way I'll let you know.

View answer in context
Email Expert

I also have Windows 7.  Go to the Comcast email preview page, and then click and drag the url icon down to the Taskbar.  Drop it in and it will pin itself to the bar.  But what it appears to do is just copy the current session of whatever browser you are using.  It's not a separate Comcast icon.  And it saves to the taskbar, and not the system tray.  I don't know if there is any other way to do it.  I'm still learning W7 and IE9.  I will work more with it later today, and if I can find a better way I'll let you know.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Good morning Latoque,

Thanks for the tip.  It worked for me too.

If you do discover any other quirks about the Comcast email program post it here and I will do likewise.

Have a great day!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Bronze Problem Solver

I understand that Windows 7 doesn't come with an email client such as Outlook Express (haven't made the move to it), but you can download any number of email clients and do the same thing, if not more.  I like Thunderbird from Mozilla.  That way, you're not tied to a feature poor web page, and your mail is secure on your system instead of the Comcast servers.

Regular Contributor

Welcome_to_post,

I appreciate your suggestion. 

Can you minimize Thunderbird to your System Tray like you could Outlook Express and if so, could you tell by that icon if you received any new messages?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Bronze Problem Solver

Sure can.  I usually operate with it in that mode.  I think by default it pops up a little window with a brief summary when mail arrives.  At least on mine;  I've never poked around that area, since I kind of like it that way.  There may be other settings;  just never looked.

Regular Contributor

Welcomed_to_Post,

Hmmmm ... sounds interesting.   I just hate to think of changing my email address after all these years.   But I will definitely check it out.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Bronze Problem Solver

I can take away that last "objection".  You don't change the email address; it stays the same.  Thunderbird (or any other mail client) accesses Comcast's servers and downloads the mail to your computer.  You can choose to leave a copy up on the server (to access it when you're not using your machine), or not.  Not to mention you have many more features than even the best webmail, which the new Comcast webmail is not.  One I like in particular is the ability to see and download email from all of your email accounts (we have four between the two of us) all at once, and see all of them. 

Connection Expert
Moved: