Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

imap server down

Regular Visitor

imap server down

I can see the titlles of the emails, but when I cick to read, or try to search, I get "The connection to remote server imap.email.comcast.net timed out while awaiting response. Please try again later." Also, when sending email, I get an error that the same server timed out, but recipients are getting the emails, 5 copies of it in one instance. Glad I'm paying such an exhorbitant amount for this internet.

Frequent Visitor

Re: imap server down

Me too.  Another great Comcast service.  DISservice I mean.

Regular Visitor

I cannot receive or send emails. Says server is down. Please help.
New Poster

Re: imap server down on 12/20/2017 from ~16:00 MST

Yes, the imap server has been down for over an hour. I called COMCAST "technical" support and after going through a largely irrelevant script I was told that the IMAP server was down and that it would be back up again in 15-20 minutes. That was about 45 minutes ago. I hope that it comes back to life this evening. Still out as of 17:15 MST.

Frequent Visitor

I've had the same problem for at least an hour.  This has to be something on Comcast's side. 

Probably relatedly, I can compose and send an email through my Comcast.net account, and it is received at two of my other email accounts.  It does not appear in my Comcast email Inbox (I included it as an email recipient), nor does it appear in my Sent items.  Likewise, I can send an email from another account (Gmail, for instance), and it will appear in all of my target accounts except my Comcast.net account.  The last email I received in my Comcast.net account was at 1:55 p.m. CST today.

New Poster

I can' recieve any email and can't send! This has been going on for at least an hours. I made Paypay payments and knew something was wrong when I didn't receive a confirmation of payment. I hate Comcast, I have had for over 30 years and it has been a royal pain for 30 years! I wish I could cancel my account but there is nothing else in town!

New Poster

me too...

New Poster

imap server still down on 12/20/2017 at 18:30

imap server still down on 12/20/2017 at 18:30

The outage continues

New Poster

It's down in mine too. Can't access email.
New Poster

Email not working

New Poster

IMAP server still showing down at 2034 12/20/17. Outage continues for email.

New Poster

does anyone know how to fix i tried chat room but  said not taking chats at this time i pay too much money for this

New Poster

I am also getting the same error. I also cannot send emails. If it continues tomorrow I will have to call Comcast, and I HATE doing that. I hate their scripted answers.

Regular Visitor

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

New Poster

Me too, somewhere around 1200 to 1400 PT. Comcast, please update your customers. Also, the Service Status page shows all green, NOT TRUE.

New Poster

I called Comcast and the woman that barely spoke English said it would be 22 to 84 hours???????  Unbelievable.  I guess they cant post something somewhere that they are having issues.  time to call FIOS

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone tried POP3?  I don't want to reconfigure my email client, but just wondering.

New Poster

Any word on how long IMAP email wil be down?

New Poster

Unclear on how long the issue will remain -- my observation:

E-mails are slowly arriving -- a couple here, a couple there, and I have received ~50 over the last two hours with most of those 50 arriving in a single chunk about 30 min ago.  What I've discovered is that many of these are copies of e-mails that have already downloaded (I have my Mac set to only download new e-mails).  The new Comcast e-mail system has apparently caused the Mac OS and iOS Mail Apps to see all e-mails as new -- for my accounts, there are ~900 e-mails on the server (I can at least see the # of messages online, but cannot load them) and my Mac is trying to download them all.  I'm certain that less than 30 are actually 'new' e-mails.  If every Comcast account  with an Apple Device has the same issue, then the servers are simply overwhelmed -- the servers cannot respond in a timely fashion.  Certainly unexpected, and probably unanticipated, by Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

is imap down again?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast's imap servers are incredibly bad. Incredibly inconsistent. Not talking the long hours down big problems either. Talking the every day and any given point you're going to see the following:

comcast%2Bimap%2Bfail

We even wrote at the time of Comcast's imap server problems, "Q. How often does Comcast / Infinity fail to connect to its IMAP mail server?"

"A. More often than not Comcast cannot connect to its own imap.comcast.net server."

Frequent Visitor

"A. More often than not Comcast cannot connect to its own imap.comcast.net server."

Yeah.  That has to be the stupidest problem I've ever seen.

The fact that if you call or online chat you get the "script".  

It's like the people on the other end have never heard of this issue before.

This problem is everyday since the beginning of December.  Today 1/5/18, the only way I can connect to e-mail is by logging on to Xfinity.  

Contributor

I just got off the support line about 15m ago. The tech told me immediately that there is a known issue and the email team is working on it. I suspect it to be something that been ongoing and larger issues as I've been seeing issues since mid-December where my clients at home (thunderbird, IOS devices) were timing out connecting to the imap server and would be very intermittent, As of today, its totally unreachable and doesn't reply to a ping.
Contributor

I have the same problem on my PC with thunderbird. I can't read my mail. Yet I can access my email using my ipad mail app (only reads doesn't take off the server). These server time outs have been going on for over a month and comcast hasn't resolved the problem. Very disappointing.

Service Expert

Change the incoming server to imap.email.comcast.net

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Please be advised that the correct setting for IMAP connections is imap.comcast.net.

While imap.email.comcast.net will work at the moment, it is not an official setting and will become unavailable in the future. Once that is removed it will cause issues for anyone using this setting.

The correct settings for IMAP can be found here How do I manually set up IMAP?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats