New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

iChat AV

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 10
Anyone else in the New England area having issues with Tiger and iChat AV? I cannot connect for audio or video chat. It gives me an error stating there is insufficient bandwidth, 0K upstream, 0K downstream, 50K needed.

Here is my latest Speakeasy test:

2005-05-05 22:21:20 EST: 6088 / 707
Your download speed : 6234432 bps, or 6088 kbps.
A 761 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 724287 bps, or 707 kbps.

Is Comcast blocking audio/vido chat?

C
9 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 10
Those numbers are very acceptable and more than enough for video conferencing with iChat AV.

Here is a test site (Tony Liu) that is set up for testing Macs with iChat and webcams. Add "tryichatav" as a AIM account to your Buddy list.

You will get no human response when you connect, but will see and hear an old movie. If that works, you are also being recieved.

tryichatav is not always online, and when it is, it is often busy, so you will have to be patient.

An option would be to trash your iChat preferences, and then relaunch iChat. New prefs will be created. As you make changes, test them on at a time with the above test site.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 10
Incidently, since I posted the above, I experienced the same failure message.

Audio chatted with a buddy in Boston. We got cut off with a "Failure due to no data in past 10 seconds.." That was not true. He was talking and we just lost the connection. Each of us tried 4-5 times in the next 10 minutes, fut failed due to "insufficient bandwidth". He has 7MB down and 1.7MB up (fiber optic) and I have 4MB down (3.6 MB real) and 384 KB up (345 KB real).

One half hour later we could audio chat again, with no problems. I even started a one-way video chat, which worked.

My point is that with your bandwidth, that message has to indicate not a problem with your personal site capability but something causing a big load on bandwidth FOR THE MOMENT on one end or the other (you or your buddy), ISP-wise. Keep trying.

Did you try "tryichatav" ? If so, what happened?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 10
An additional comment. Be sure, in iChat prefs, your bandwidth is set to 500 or higher.

I have a DI-624 Router, and it has been giving me problems and causing the generation of this "insufficient bandwidth" message. When I removed the router, connecting the Mac directly to the modem, I no longer had that message.

I checked with the D Link site, and I have the latest firmware for this model.

I am currently trying to find some setting to change in my router, but meantime, I have a different router coming, just in case.
Posted by
N/A
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 10
This problem is happening to lots of people. Apple has a doc that talks about the issue and has some recommendations to resolve it. Unfortunately getting comcast to address their end of the issue is difficult. I haven't had any luck with any of the comcast people I've spoken to so far.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301641
Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 10
I just found out that my D-Link DI 624 router is responsible for some of my troubles. It was prohibiting audio and video chats with 4-5 other Mac users, but had no problem with 15 or so others.

I took it out of the system, and inserted my Linksys router (Vonage supplied model RT31P2) that also handles my VoIP. I have now video chatted with 3 of those 4 prohibitted by the D-Link. I have yet to try the 4th.

Bottom line: this was not a Comcast problem, even though "bandwidth problem" was the error message. My up and down speeds have been consistently within Comcast limits, and well above those required by iChat 3, and the router brand has not changed that.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 10
Well, out of the blue, iChat works! Video, audio, and text. No changes here on my end...it just started working tonight. No more insufficient bandwidth errors.

Weird.

C
Posted by
N/A

Message 8 of 10
I'm having the same problem here in Beverly, MA. It has been going on since switching to Tiger. Everything has been checked out and is OK. Even changed/opened ports as suggested by Apple. Still no help.

Bob Mehrman
Posted by
N/A

Message 9 of 10
Just read your latest comments. Any indication as to what happened to cause this revelation? I'll see if I can get mine to work.

Bob Mehrman
Highlighted
Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 10
Bob,

As far as my situation...no idea...just started working. No changes here in my config...

Weird,

C