Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

iChat 3 - Looking for a comcast user in pgh

Posted by
N/A
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 13
Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out some major "insufficient bandwidth" problems that seem to be affecting northeastern comcast users running Mac OSX 10.4.1 Tiger.

Specifically, I am looking for another comcast user in or around Pittsburgh who has ANY version of Mac OSX and iChat.

If this sounds like you, and you'd be willing to spare 5 minutes of your time to help me out I would greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail me at: grendak "at" gmail "dot" com

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 13
Wow...I am impressed. You are really working hard on this.

Just wanted you to know that I appreciate your efforts very much.

Cory Smiley Wink
Posted by
N/A

Message 3 of 13
trying to at least... now if only I could find a user in pgh!!

I've got it down to 5 routers that I ALWAYS hit. I'm hoping if I can connect to someone close it would narrow it down to 2. Those being
tbr1-p012301.phlpa.ip.att.net
tbr1-cl8.n54ny.ip.att.net (which I don't think is the culprit because I can bypass it on my way to japan)

Both of which you probably get routed through as well. So assuming there aren't a ton of routers that aren't handling these DSCP packets right, hopefully my fix will be yours as well. Now, if it's more than 1 or 2 we're gonna have a hard time...

It would be interesting to see if two comcast users that can successfully videochat get sent through either of those routers. But right now I can't seem to find any NE comcast customers who don't have problems since they typically aren't the ones looking for answers on discussion boards!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 13
Well, we know we can't chat from our test the other day. I never did catch Eric online...will keep trying.

Sounds like you are getting it narrowed down.

Will keep you updated as to anything I hear of of learn.

C
Posted by
N/A

Message 5 of 13
I am having a similar problem since installing tiger - have tried numerous things to correct - but nothing works - I am thinking (as you are ) that it is an ISP issue.

I am in Denver and cannot video chat with Las Vegas and Stockholm for sure - I even run into accasonal problems audio chatting wth them - for sure video is not working - please advise if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 6 of 13
I too am having the same problems - I am in Haverhill, MA. I can't even have a video chat directly off the cable modem itself (i.e., no router) - which is a SB 5100.

This is very frustrating. Especially being a new Mac switcher.
Posted by
N/A

Message 7 of 13
unfortunately, I spent weeks narrowing down "problem" routers, which for me turned out to be one or both of:

12.118.114.21 (12.118.114.21)
tbr1-p012301.phlpa.ip.att.net (12.123.137.62)

...but haven't gotten anywhere with Comcast support. They won't get me to a high enough level where I can actually talk to someone who knows what they are doing. I can videochat with users in Pittsburgh, but as soon as I hit one of those 2 routers I get "insufficient bandwidth". Which in fact is Apple's way of saying those routers are misconfigured to handle differentiated services packets correctly.

So in turn... I unfortunately have no suggestions. Even if you are able to localize your problem, as I have been able to, Comcast isn't too helpful Smiley Sad Now granted, one of those is on the at&t backbone, so Comcast may have no control, but it is in turn affecting THEIR customers, so one would hope they would have some say in fixing it.
Posted by
Mac Expert

Message 8 of 13
This "insufficient Bandwidth" issue is a known problem in 10.4, and looks to be addressed in 10.4.2:

"On the subject of networking, Mac OS X 10.4.2 is expected to deliver enhancements to general system networking, NFS, NSL DS, Net SNMP, AirPort and ethernet networking. The release should also pack a fix to iChat 3.0, which has presented some users with insufficient bandwidth issues.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 13
Same problem here just outside Chicago. I regularly use iChat AV to confer with a pal in Ohio, but right after installing Tiger and then the 10.4.1 update, my fps went to 1.0. Comcast was no help.
Posted by
N/A

Message 10 of 13
Well Folks, same problem here in DC. When will 10.4.2 come out. I was running fine until I upgraded. My dad uprgade so he could host two or three other people. My brother and I both upgraded too. We all upgraded hardware and software, so that it wouldn't work.
Posted by
Mac Expert

Message 11 of 13
Apple's spending extra time testing 10.4.2, as this version will replace 10.4.0 as the retail version.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Highlighted
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 13
The 10.4.2 update came out 7/12.

C
Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 13
unfortunately, 10.4.2 did nothing to resolve the situation :-/

At http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html

it reads

Insufficient bandwidth after Tiger upgrade: iChat AV 3.0 adds support for more consistent audio and video (AV) chat quality using Quality of Service (QoS) technology. Specifically, it added DSCP support for SIP, RTP/RTCP UDP packets: SIP = AF31, Audio = EF, Video = AF41, RTCP = AF4. So... if your ISP has (old) routers that block DSCP QoS technology you may find that you can no longer video chat after upgrading to Tiger and iChat 3. The error message "Insufficient bandwidth" suddenly shows up. Currently Comcast has this 'feature' in some of their coverage area and Apple is working with them on a repair. iChat 2 will still work for video conferencing as it doesn't use the DSCP QoS technology. See this Apple page for more information.