Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

how do I extend the 7 day trash empying on my comcast email?

New Poster

Email Expert

Re: how do I extend the 7 day trash empying on my comcast email?

How are you accessing your email?  Using only the webmail interface and a browser, or a desktop client or mobile device or what?  Are you still in the old email format?  To tell, look at the URL in the address bar.  If it says "Zimbra" you are still in the old format.  If it says "Appsuite" you have the new one.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Here's what I dont' get about this e-mail platform. I've seen this in a couple of threads.

Nowhere do we choose whether to be in appsuite, or zimbra, or something else. So far as I can tell. It's forced on us, like when Comcast  changes the format with no warning.

So how does it know whether to assign one or the other to us? Windows version, or something else? Thanks for any info.     

Email Expert

@gnpnb wrote:

Here's what I dont' get about this e-mail platform. I've seen this in a couple of threads.

Nowhere do we choose whether to be in appsuite, or zimbra, or something else. So far as I can tell. It's forced on us, like when Comcast  changes the format with no warning.

So how does it know whether to assign one or the other to us? Windows version, or something else? Thanks for any info.     

The new email format has been rolling out over the last two years and a bit.  Email notices have been sent out about it.  All customers will be migrated to the new format at some point.  Comcast has the option to provide any email platform it wants or none at all.  The new format takes into account the increasing use of mobile devices to access the email.  The old format was adopted in a time when there were few, if any, mobile devices around.  The new one is intended to work with both mobile devices and traditional desktop and laptop users.  It is very reminiscent of an Outlook.com or iCloud account.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you for the help.  It says Appsuite so it must be the new format.  I asusme I still can't adjust the deletion window past 7 days.  Too bad since it says I am only using 4% of my 10 GB Xfinity storage.  Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

According to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-email-deletion-settings the deletion is fixed at 14 days.

Problem Solver

@rightfooted wrote:

According to https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-email-deletion-settings the deletion is fixed at 14 days.

It would be beneficial if that information was prominently displayed when accessing the settings button on the email page.  Just sayin'  .  :smileycool:

New Poster

Thanks again.  My trash is empying at 7 days and can't seem to find any way to extend it to 14.  Thanks 

Email Expert

@davidtbrooks wrote:

Thanks again.  My trash is empying at 7 days and can't seem to find any way to extend it to 14.  Thanks 

As stated above, the default for Trash is 14 days, after which it goes into another folder for another 30 days or so.  To access that, right-click on the Trash folder, or select it and click on the "hamburger" icon to the right of it.  Either way, you will see a small menu with "Recover Deleted Items".  Open that to recover any messages you have deleted.  As for the 7-day thing----------do you have the account enabled on a mobile device using whatever mail app came on it?  If so, check your settings in it and see if you have that set to 7 days.  It's possible that the device may be deleting your Trash.  The same applies to a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird if you are using one.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

thank you  

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation