online now

discussions

help with SPF record to clear Gmail.

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

help with SPF record to clear Gmail.

I have a website.(kabusa.com)

the SPF record is "v=spf1 a mx ip4:64.62.163.213 ?include:comcast.net ~all"

When I send an email for my website(info@kabusa.com) through my comcast connection, Gmail puts those emails into the recievers spam folder.  with the note “Gmail couldn’t verify that kabusa.com actually sent this message (and not a spammer).” Why isn't this SPF record sufficient for Gmail? Does anyone know of a SPF record that works with Gmail? This is really important as customers have the feeling we are not responding to them.  Thanks for anyone that may know the answer to this.

Accepted Solution

Re: help with SPF record to clear Gmail spam folder. SOLVED

Happy to report that I am able to send to Gmail inbox now. The solution is to realize that in order to avoid Spam folder in Gmail, the SPF record must resolve with PASS. Any other outcome, will put it into SPAM.  This happened because I followed the reccomendations over at openspf.org .

For Comcast users sending  email with a website ID, like our info@kabusa.com, must set the SPF record like this: 

v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:64.62.163.213 +include:comcast.net ~all

http://www.openspf.org/ had suggested that when using the include: statement, that it was best to precede it with a ? instead of the +. But when you do that, it resolves to NEUTRAL and that will put your email in gmails spam folder. It must be preceded with the + symbol.  Now, the only problem that can arise is if for some reason, Comcast sends your email on a URL that is not listed in the comcast.net  SPF record. But I would doubt that could happen.

View answer in context
Service Expert

Re: help with SPF record to clear Gmail.

kabelectro wrote:

When I send an email for my website(info@kabusa.com) through my comcast connection, Gmail puts those emails into the recievers spam folder.  with the note “Gmail couldn’t verify that kabusa.com actually sent this message (and not a spammer).” Why isn't this SPF record sufficient for Gmail? Does anyone know of a SPF record that works with Gmail? This is really important as customers have the feeling we are not responding to them.  Thanks for anyone that may know the answer to this.

See if this explanation from Google might help.

Are you a business class customer?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

kabelectro wrote:

kabelectro-

Can you please send me a private forum message with the full internet headers of the message as received at the gmail side?

(click on the username to the left, then click 'send message')

Thanks,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

hi,

I am a consumer, not business class so I know that the ?include:comcast.net is correct.

the ? in front was reccomended by the SPF framework website, but I think that is what is causing the problem because it gives a NEUTRAL result. I think Gmail will only accept as non spam PASS results. so it shoud be +include:comcast.net I have made that change and I am waiting for it to propogate so I can test it.  as for the google link, it only applies to sending email FROM gmail across platforms. Not the other way round which is what we are doing. I cannot get over how hard this is to find examples on the web. I cannot be the only one trying to figure this out!

Frequent Visitor

Yahoo still shows NEUTRAL result with +include:comcast.net. So I am at a loss.

SPF.org asks: this Sometimes an ISP will create a special SPF record that customers can include with their record, such as _spf.example.com. If you want to use an ISP's mail server(s) you should ask them if they maintain an SPF record for their customers to include.

Comast.net SPF record looks like this: v=spf1 ip4:69.252.207.32/28 ip4:96.114.154.160/28 include:_spfv6.comcast.net include:_spf.mdp.comcast.net ?all

So my question is what is the correct reference for me to use?

_spfv6.comcast.net include:_spf.mdp.comcast.net?

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Visitor

Follow Up:

The SPF record with +include:comcast.net, finally propagated and the test at Yahoo produces a PASS result

X-Apparently-To: XXXXXX@yahoo.com; Fri, 20 Jan 2017 23:27:28 +0000
Return-Path: <info@kabusa.com>
Received-SPF: pass (domain of kabusa.com designates 69.252.207.44 as permitted sender)

This is good. I am testing it with gmail and hope to be able to report back that it works there as well.

I will report back here and finalize a solution. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: help with SPF record to clear Gmail spam folder. SOLVED

Happy to report that I am able to send to Gmail inbox now. The solution is to realize that in order to avoid Spam folder in Gmail, the SPF record must resolve with PASS. Any other outcome, will put it into SPAM.  This happened because I followed the reccomendations over at openspf.org .

For Comcast users sending  email with a website ID, like our info@kabusa.com, must set the SPF record like this: 

v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:64.62.163.213 +include:comcast.net ~all

http://www.openspf.org/ had suggested that when using the include: statement, that it was best to precede it with a ? instead of the +. But when you do that, it resolves to NEUTRAL and that will put your email in gmails spam folder. It must be preceded with the + symbol.  Now, the only problem that can arise is if for some reason, Comcast sends your email on a URL that is not listed in the comcast.net  SPF record. But I would doubt that could happen.