Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email server password security

email server password security

My email service has been faulty, losing about 99% of my emails over a 9 day period.

My question is: how many characters in my user name and how many characters in my password are actually used for selecting which email account is being pinged when I try and get my email?

My user name for email is 13 characters long and my password was 10 characters long and I was having issues with my email being deleted from the server, on a random basis based on what appears to be other accounts accessing and then deleteing my emails.  I have been working on this issue for 30 days, investigating what is happening with my email with multiple support phone calls and tickets generated.  What I found:

1.  I am using Outlook 2010 to receive emails.  When configured for IMAP it was much worse than when configured for POP3, likely due to the probabilty of number of users.

2.  When I configure Comcast mail server to send a copy to a gmail account,  the probability of getting my mail on the gmail account changes to 99% caught, but does not change the probability of catching mail on my Outlook 2010 account.  This implies that yes, the server is receiving emails and they are getting thrown away by some pseudo random effect.  I can drive the probability on the Outlook 2010 account up quite a bit by nearly constantly hitting the send/receive key.  Setting Outlook 2010 to send/receive every 15 minutes(the shortest refresh cycle that can be set) gets me into the 20-40% range of successful email on Outlook 2010 as compared with copies on gmail.

3.  Changing my password from 10 characters to a completely different 12 character password and after two days of monitoring, I have not lost one email.  

THUS, MY QUESTION REGARDING HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE ACTUALLY BEING USED ON THE EMAIL SERVER TO "GET MAIL"?
Regards Mark