New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email "To" list

ANSWERED
New Poster

email "To" list

Just since the past four weeks, whenever I send an email, regardless whether its an initial inquiry or in "response to", that email address is automatically added to the "To" list (not the Address Book) and I am unable to "delete" it.  I have tried everything I know (admittedly, not much) to purge the "To" list of unwanted addresses.  How can I purge the "To" list for Xfinity email?

Accepted Solution

Re: email "To" list

But this strange behavior only began @ four wks ago; before only people on my address book appeared on the "To" list but now any "Reply" is automatically added to the "To" list but does not appear on the address book.  I can manipulate entries in my addres book, add/delete, but can't delete from the "To" list, very inconvenient!  For example, if I should respond to Amazon about a one time issue the email address is autimatically added to the "To" list FOREVER!  It would be interesting to know what occurred four wks ago to result in this strange behavior.  Oh, well, guess I must learn to live with it.  Thanks for your response.

View answer in context
Email Expert

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory.  You can't access it or alter it.  Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish.  However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule.  So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book.  It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts.  My Gmail and Yahoo accounts do the same thing.  So do most of the available desktop email clients.

There is another, separate but related issue ongoing where some people get the remembered address added to their address book.  But from what you describe that is not your issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

But this strange behavior only began @ four wks ago; before only people on my address book appeared on the "To" list but now any "Reply" is automatically added to the "To" list but does not appear on the address book.  I can manipulate entries in my addres book, add/delete, but can't delete from the "To" list, very inconvenient!  For example, if I should respond to Amazon about a one time issue the email address is autimatically added to the "To" list FOREVER!  It would be interesting to know what occurred four wks ago to result in this strange behavior.  Oh, well, guess I must learn to live with it.  Thanks for your response.

New Poster

The response was not particularly clear brcause this is a 'new' situation that has never occurred before.  It has NOTHING to do with my Address Book, only pertains to the "To", "BCC", & "CC" list.  As I said, simply replying to an email puts that entity's email address permanently onto my "To" list and I can't delete it, my "To" list is becoming cumbersomly long.  There must be a solution other than being at the mercy of ComCast.