New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email filters

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

email filters

My Email Filters (within Email Preferences) keep disappearing. I had multiple ones set up to sort to different folders. They were working great for a long time. After editing one last Thursday, all but the one I was editing disappeared. Comcast support was of no help and had no information as to why it happened. Figured maybe it was a fluke, and began to reestablish them. Lo and behold, it just happened again. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Re: email filters

My opinion and my experience---------the filters in Comcast webmail are wonky, and they have been for a long time.   One minute they work and the next they don't.  They have a habit of turning themselves on and off.  If filtering is really important to you, I can only suggest that you enable the account in a real email client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or some other.  I really hate to have to say that, but that's the way it is.  Or maybe you could set your Comcast email to auto-forward to some other email provider like Gmail or Outlook.com that has more reliable filter features.

I cannot honestly advise you otherwise.  My own experience with the Comcast filters has been checkered to say the least.  I would certainly not rely on them myself.

Just sayin

View answer in context
Email Expert

My opinion and my experience---------the filters in Comcast webmail are wonky, and they have been for a long time.   One minute they work and the next they don't.  They have a habit of turning themselves on and off.  If filtering is really important to you, I can only suggest that you enable the account in a real email client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or some other.  I really hate to have to say that, but that's the way it is.  Or maybe you could set your Comcast email to auto-forward to some other email provider like Gmail or Outlook.com that has more reliable filter features.

I cannot honestly advise you otherwise.  My own experience with the Comcast filters has been checkered to say the least.  I would certainly not rely on them myself.

Just sayin

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your response. Good to have confirmation of what was becoming quite apparent. I am actively seeking an alternative to Comcast filters.

Regular Visitor

I also have problems with my Email Filters (within Email Preferences) keep disappearing. I had fourteen filters set up to sort to different folders. They were working for a long time. In the late summer of 2015, all but the one disappeared. I reestablished the filters.  Comcast support said the issue was raised to a second level rep--that was a week ago.  In follow up today, I was passed to four different reps with no answers. 

Regular Visitor

Super frustrating. I also did the roundabout of Comcast support to no avail. Tried for a third time to set up multiple filters only to have all but one disappear. 

Regular Visitor

I think I will find a different place for email. I don't know if there are good alternatives.  In my opinion:

• Gmail web based.  However, there aren't many options and haven't found much support. 
  • MS Outlook not web based.  However, it has many more options and it is far more stable. 

Anyone have better alternatives?

Email Expert

in2photo wrote:

I think I will find a different place for email. I don't know if there are good alternatives.  In my opinion:

• Gmail web based.  However, there aren't many options and haven't found much support. 
  • MS Outlook not web based.  However, it has many more options and it is far more stable. 

Anyone have better alternatives?

Are you talking about Outlook, or Outlook.com?  If the former------it's an email client, not an email account.  If the latter, it is most definitely web-based email.  If your Comcast account is working, you can always set it up using a desktop client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or some other.  That way you don't even have to look at the Comcast UI except for account maintenance purposes. Lots of other advantages to using a client too.

Just sayin

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Did it ever strike anyone that COMCAST might benefit from the filters not working?  This is in addition to saving on the labor to fix the problem that has plaged for years.  Could COMCAST any way benefit from all us users beeing swamped with spam?