Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email automatically adding adresses in the "to" function of composing, but not in the address book

Frequent Visitor

email automatically adding adresses in the "to" function of composing, but not in the address book

This started happening a couple days ago. I've done live chat, and have been given a ticket for a higher level tech to contact me.

At any rate:

I maintain an email adress book (of 57 entries). In the past, when composing a new email, I would click the "to" button, and a list of my 57 addresses would appear, and I'd select the ones I wanted to send to.

Last week, I sent an email to 90 people, none of whom are in my address book. (Yes, I cut and pasted 90 email addresses into the "to" field.)

Now when I click on the "to" button in a new email, those 90 addresses appear, along with my 57 regular contacts.

But the 90 new addresses do NOT show in may address book.

I've tried to delete them from the mail program, but can't find a way to do that.

Since they're not in my address book, I can't delete them from there.

Chat suggested I clear cache, cookies, and forms, which I have done.

They then suggested that I add the 90 new addresses into my address book, then delete them. I tried that with one entry. I added it, and it showed in my address book. But then there were two listings of it in the "to" button. I deleted it from my address book, and it deleted one entry from the "to" button, but kept one.

As an experiment, I sent an email to a company, and the company's email address was automatically added to the "to" listing, but again, not to the address book.

So, it's like the email program is automatically adding any new email address that I send to into the "to" listings (but not into the address book).

Have I accidentally activated a setting that will do that? If so, how do I turn it off?

More importantly, any idea of how to remove these unwanted addresses from my "to" list?

Thanks for your time.

Email Expert

Re: email automatically adding adresses in the "to" function of composing, but not in the address book

There is nothing wrong going on, and no you haven't messed up anything accidentally.  

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory.  You can't access it or alter it.  Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish.  However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule.  So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also something I have learned-------if you send an email to someone whose address is not in the address book, the auto-fill will remember it anyway. If you type in the address then change your mind and delete it, it won't then show up again.  But if you actually send the email it will remember it.  Try a little experiment-----type a bogus email address in the To: field, then delete it.  Now start typing it again------does it show up?  Then type it in again and actually send the email.  You will see what I mean.   It took several emails to Plaxo to figure out how it worked, as they don't make that information easily available anyplace.  It's just a quirk of how the address book software is written.  That the chat people you dealt with didn't know about it comes as no surprise to me.  A lot of Comcast employees themselves never use their Comcast email, and are not familiar with how it works.  In fact I wasn't aware of it myself until I contatcted them directly.  Plaxo provides both the calendar and address book software for Comcast.  They don't write their own.  Liekwise, the email is actually provided by Zimbra.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: email automatically adding adresses in the "to" function of composing, but not in the address book

Thanks for your time and the reply.

I understand the auto complete function.

What I don't understand is that I've had a Comcast email account for years, and this has never happened before. I mean, I've periodically sent emails to people not in my address book, and their email address was not added to the "to" list.

Very strange.

If I could delete them from the "to" list, I wouldn't mind so much. I just don't want 90+ unwanted email addresses in my "to" list.

I do appreciate your input.

And right about Comcast chat folks not knowing things. I think this guy was ready from a manual of sorts.

Should I get any other information when the Comcast next tier tech calls me, I'll post it here.

Frequent Visitor

Another thing I just noticed, and not sure if this has anything to do with anything --

When I used to log in to email, the message in the upper right corner would say, "Hello, George."

It now says, "Hello, Guest."

Email Expert

That is an ongoing issue that is being investigated by Comcast.  It is nothing peculiar to you.  I have the same thing right now, although mine just started a couple of days ago.  Others have had it for longer than that.  It's just that there seems to be a rash of posts about it the last couple of days.  It's nothing you can fix from your end.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ah, Comcast.

Again, thanks for your time and insight in replying.

And I will add to this post whatever the next level tech support tells me. Or doesn't tell me.

Regular Visitor

I have the exact same problem..it started Friday, March 4th.  I caleld Comcast and got the run around.  Was actaully told to just live it it.  Also they told me it wasnt their issue or doing.  I was to be blamed for it happening on how I have things set up.  Needless to say, no one would be happy with that answer, so I asked for tech support and or a supervisor to call me.  They called later that day, to a number i didnt give them to use as the contact.  We talked about a few ideas to fix, but since i was off line at that time I couldnt try any.  i eventually tried today, but still have the same problem and more names added today.  The person said he would call me today at noon....it is no 430 and i still have not received a call from the tech supervisor.  If anyone finds out to 1--how to stop the and 2--erase the added names, please let us know

Frequent Visitor

I called on Tuesday (March 8, 2016) and gave my ticket number. The rep said it was still open and asked if I was still having problems with my email password. What? I explained that the password was NOT the issue. I re-explained my problem, she updated the ticket, said she'd refer it, and I haven't heard anything.

I've also noticed that some of the names in my personal address book have become messed up. For convenience and to alphabetize by first name, I type both first and last names into the "first name" field. So I would type "Bob Smith" into the first name field so that it would come up alphabetically in the B's for Bob. Now it's coming up in the S's as Smith, Bob, with Bob in the first name field and Smith in the last name field. And that's not something I changed. So, there's something else going on behind the scenes.

Frequent Visitor

An update. Or a non-update as the case may be.

I called on Monday, March 14. I gave the rep my ticket # and she insisted on trying to solve the problem, even though I explained that a next-level tech was to call. Fifty minutes later, she had not solved the problem. She said she would research and call me later. She did call later, but it was 8:30 p.m. and I didn't take the call. She left a message stating that she'd call again Tuesday with a possible solution. But I did not receive a call Tuesday.

Frequent Visitor

Adding another non-update.

I called on March 23 and spoke to a rep (didn't catch the name). When I gave him the ticket #, he asked, "Is this about your email password?" I cannot believe that the account is noted with a problem about email password.

After going round with this rep, he created a second ticket number for me.

I specifically asked if I should expect a call. He said Yes.

Of course, no call came.

Just for the heck of it, later that day I did another chat. With Rolinda. I gave her the ticket numbers and she asked, "Is this about your email password?" Really?

I went round with her, and she asked me to do some of the things the first chat rep did -- clear cache and cookies -- which didn't work.

I logged out of email, and she refreshed it from her end. No change.

Then she gave me instructions on how to delete names from my address book. I explained that the email addresses in question are NOT in my address book. Never have been in my address book. They appear in the list of email addresses when I click the "to" button when composing a new email.

She gave me a phone number for "Customer Security Assurance 1-877-807-6581"

I haven't had the time (nor the desire) to call that number yet. But I will today. And will post further non-updates.

Frequent Visitor

Here's the latest.

This is urine poor customer service.

Called 877-807-6581. Explained. Was transferred.

Went round and round with a new rep who said that I’m the only one who has access to my Address Book. I got angry and yelled. I later apologized. I asked for a supervisor. She has no supervisor. She gave me another number for Comcast Security Assurance. 888-565 4329 because she couldn’t transfer me.

I called the second number. Got someone named Eddie. Very hard to understand. When I gave him the ticket number, he asked if I was having a problem with notifications. I explained my problem to him (and I’m getting tired of explaining my problem to people) and he said, “I don’t understand what you’re saying.” I hung up.

Frequent Visitor

After the frustration of the two phone calls today, I tried chat again.

Here's what happened.

The chat rep, Dan, told me that the first two tickets were closed. What?

How could they be closed when I received no phone call and there was no resolution?

Furtermore, the first ticket was for an email password problem (which explains why all the reps asked me if I was still having email password issues). The second ticket was for something called "customer concern inquiry" which are for "general concern inquires only."

I do not understand how Comcast's customer service works.

The two reps I spoke to today didn't seem to understand my issue. The first offered general solutions that had nothing to do with the problem.

Anyway, today's chat created yet another ticket, saying he would prioritize it. And assuring me that the new ticket has the correct problem.

We shall see. I don't have high hopes for this.

Email Expert

Here is something in another thread on the subject----------------------

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Unable-To-Delete-Email-Address-That-I-N...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for your input.

The link provided sounds like it is related, but the problem is addresses being added to the address book. Or maybe that's just the phrasing that the other person used and it is the same issue.

Though the response says, "This is a known national issue. We are working on a resolution but do not have a fix in place for this yet, then if it's a "known" issue, why do the phone and chat tech support reps know nothing about it? (rhetoric question, that)

Frequent Visitor

update

I've been lax in updating this.

I was finally transferred to a "level 3" rep. She at least understood the problem.

She called me back on April 6 to ask if I still had the problem because the techs thought they might have fixed it.

I still had the problem.

She asked for screen shots of my address book (with 57 entries) and the "to" button listing when composing an email (which now house about 110 entries).

I sent them to her.

Haven't heard anything since.

Frequent Visitor

Finally fixed!

The rep did call back. She asked if the problem was solved. I said no.

She asked if I could provide a list of all the email addresses that were in the "to" button when composing that I didn't want.

I said that I could, but it would be a lot of work cutting and pasting all those addresses.

She suggested that she just tell the techs to eliminate any addresses in the "to" button that were not in my address book.

I said Fine.

She suggested it might take the weekend to resolve. But Thursday I went to compose an email and lo and behold, only my address book addresses were in the "to" field.

Just to test it, I emailed a couple people who are not in my address book. Their addresses did not populate in the "to" button.

It's been afour days now, and I haven't had any problems.

I don't know what the techs did or how they fixed it (and frankly I don't care to know). I'm just glad it's resolved.

I emailed the rep back to tell her that the issue was resolved and to thank her for the efforts.

For the record, this rep was the ONLY one who understood what the problem was.

New Poster

Do you happen to know the name of the tech rep who fixed this problem?

Thanks,

Ed

Frequent Visitor

Sorry.

I've deleted all emails and notes from this incident, and I don't remember the name.