Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email and account sign-in

Frequent Visitor

email and account sign-in

In the past I had to sign in for email or account maybe once or twice a month, having activated the "keep me signed in" option

with username and password.

It is understandable that if I am on a  diferent device, away from home, I would need to sign in.

However, for the last  6 or 7 days, I had to sign in every day, usually several times.

My call for help was clueless and long. I hung up after 45 minutes of talking to 2 clueless people, that held me on the phone

and the last "advice" was that security needs to be maintained, username and password entered. I never got an answer whether all Comcast customers are affected, which I doubt.

What is the point of "keep me signed in", if that is not followed?

Email Expert

Re: email and account sign-in

That "Keep Me Signed-In" thingy is a function of cookies in your browser.  If you have it set to clear history/cache after every session or something, or if you are manually clearing history, it will clear out the cookies that Comcast uses to keep you signed in.  If that is the case, then yes you would have to sign in again.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have not changed any settings clearing history/cache or manually clearing history. This is clearly just an unexpected change in the last week. Nothing on any other  sites have changed. Even on the sensitive sites like financial accounts, brokerage accounts

nothing has changed. Even on the most sensitive site, my financial institution, I obviously have to enter my password, but it remembers my username.

The only thing I can think of that might be different is that I recently changed my Comcast package, going to a lower cost plan, discontinuing premium channels and a promotional package including things that I don't need, that was about to expire, but was cheaper than my package including premium channels. So because of that I was going to my account more often to check the status, changes in billing, etc., which might have triggered a more stringent security level, requiring frequent sign-ins

because that was "suspicious"

Email Expert

Then as a test---------

Try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history. When you have done that, close out the browser and re-start it in a fresh session.  Then sign into the account and select the Remember Me thing.  Does it work ok then?

If that doesn't do it, then try using a different browser and see if you can duplicate the problem that way. If it works OK then you will know the problem probably lies with the first browser. eg: if you are using Internet Explorer, try Chrome or Firefox.

If you are using IE 10 or 11, make sure Compatibility mode is enabled for comcast.net. You will find it in IE under "Tools".

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I don't know how to clear out cache/browsing history, that does not appear to be in the disc cleanup options.

In any case, although I am not a computer expert,this  seems to me might clean out other "good cookies"

I still think the system may have triggered the level the security, because I was going several times a day to see my billing details,which were inconsistent and confusing, after a change in my package to reduce the channels.

In the past I seldom went to the Acoount option, I had the same monthly chasrge, charged to my debit card. Now it appears to have been corrected and I don't go there ., which apeears to have significantly reduced the sign-in requests.

One other thing I did not mention beforee, is that occasionally I  got a message "uh,uh you are not signed in", right above "email", but I was still able to ignore it and get to the email page without signing in. That happened today too. The requests for sign-in

are rare now for the last 2 days, I want to see if things go back to normal, now that I don't have to go to Account, at least for the time being.

On your other comments, I have IE 9 with VIsta

Email Expert

You can clear history and cookies in IE completely, or only certain categories if you want.  To see how look here-------------

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/internet-explorer-tips/how-to-clear-your-google-search-history/

They use Google as an example but it could be anything.  Clearing out Cache/history should be a routine maintenance practice.  Browsers, over time, will end up with some corrupted or expired cookies and other small files that will cause all kinds of strange problems.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have not tried the suggested solution, because the requests for sign-in have gradually decreased, close to what I had before,although I did have to sign to see the message forum. Perhaps that is a special case.

If the problem essentially goes away, I don't see much point to do what you suggested. I am still afraid that it might delete

some "good cookies", just creating a new problem.

I suppose it can be a random event, but I still have the suspicion that the reason iwas my frequent  attempts to to go to my Account section, looking at billing detauils, etc., automatically triggered a higher security level that resulted many requests for sign-in, several times a day. Now that the billing issues have been resolved, I don't go to Account section and accessing emails seldom require signin , and even when it says  'you are not signed in", I can continue and see my emails without sign-in