Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

email account status

Frequent Visitor

email account status

Receiving the notice from comcast about keeping email account active....there were some instructions about how to check if an account is indeed active.  The advice given as far as the menu structure to check does not resemble the actual menu choices that I see.  Example: "Contact Information" under the "Users" tab in My Account has no such information; there is no such thing as "Additional Services" under the "Services" "tab", well, there isn't any such thing as a tab here.  Only a services heading with boxes for "shop for" and a status center. 

A huge frustration and time waster for any customer is when the advice doesn't match up with the actual UI.  Is there any actual advice on where an account *might* be listed as active or not?

I assume since I can still access emails that it is active, but something broke my email client last week (Thunderbird), and I am trying to track down the issue there.

Service Expert

Re: email account status

@tmwellington wrote:

Receiving the notice from comcast about keeping email account active....there were some instructions about how to check if an account is indeed active.  The advice given as far as the menu structure to check does not resemble the actual menu choices that I see.  Example: "Contact Information" under the "Users" tab in My Account has no such information; there is no such thing as "Additional Services" under the "Services" "tab", well, there isn't any such thing as a tab here.  Only a services heading with boxes for "shop for" and a status center. 

A huge frustration and time waster for any customer is when the advice doesn't match up with the actual UI.  Is there any actual advice on where an account *might* be listed as active or not?

I assume since I can still access emails that it is active, but something broke my email client last week (Thunderbird), and I am trying to track down the issue there.

You most likely received a phishing email.  Was there a "click me" link in the email?

As far as Thunderbird goes, what error message are you getting, or what is happening to keep you from getting your email?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Not a phishing email.  The instructions I was following were from the Comcast/Xfinity website, logged in. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-activity

The instructions do not match up with possible choices. 

As of last Tuesday, Thunderbird never shows the log in option.  It says it connects to the server, which eventually times out.  So I cannot send emails in or out from there.

I truly dislike the Xfinity webmail, so I'm using gmail at the moment to look at emails. I've had the email for 20 years, so I'm loath to change, but at some point when stuff breaks for no apparent reason, I will anyway.  I don't especially think it is on the xfinity side, but I'm checking all the possibilities. 

Frequent Visitor

Interestingly, the problem is somewhere in our home network.  I can get email just fine anywhere but home.

Comcast / Xfinity is not the only place I've seen official advice and help pages not match the current user interface.  When the UI is updated, all the support pages need to be updated as well.  Else we are all just frustrated.

Admin1

Hi tmwellington -- I reviewed the link you provided for how to check if your email is active. I confirmed that the sections listed in the link are available in My Account. Please give this another try and let us know if you have any further issues with this verification. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Well, let's see:

"How can I check my email account's activity status?
You can check the activity status of all email addresses associated with your account by logging into My Account and navigating to the Additional Features section under the Services tab, or the Contact Information section under the Users tab."

1. There is no "services tab".  This is what "My Account" looks like, tabs are overview and Users.  The Services section has a selection of boxes that say "shop for..." 

myxfinityaccount.jpgmy account page

2. Well, what about under "Users?"  There is no "contact information" directly under this, I see my name and that I am an unrestricted secondary.  If I take the only choice "edit" There is a contact information but absolutely nothing about the account activity status.  Just saying, no, neither of these matches the instructions.  I finally just decided that if I can get to the emial it must be fine, because nothing here is any particular help.

Contact Information

Verified mobile

(xxx) xxx0xxxx
Comcast.net email (Preferred)
xxxx@comcast.net

Personal email

xxxxxxx@gmail.com

Admin1

tmwellington -- The screen shot you've provided is very helpful. What you've sent shows what My Account looks like when you've disconnected your account. You're able to continue to use our email platform if you had logged into your account within 90 days before disconnecting your account. Do you know if you had done that?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I had in fact logged into email because (see beginning of thread) Thunderbird had quit working.  But in the course of troubleshooting that I wanted to see what Comcast thought the account status was.

That's interesting that the screens should look different....but again, adjust advice given then accordingly.

Glad to keep the email just because one could imagine that at some point we'd be comcast customers again.  We've been gone now almost a year. 

For the record, the solution to the problem was to power cycle the modem/router.  But I had tried to follow as many different possible points of trouble as I could.  I could have imagined that we could only access it via webmail, even though I didn't know why that should be true. 

Admin1

tmwellington -- Thanks for the update. Per the last sentence in your response, you were able to get this resolved?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the problem is resolved.

the last sentence was a theoretical consideration of the possibility that webmail was ok but somehow the connection for an email client like Thunderbird had been broken or disabled.  

That's why I wanted to check the account status.  

But as it is, problem resolved.

Official Employee

tmwellington -- Thank you for this update, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation