Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

email - Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Visitor

email - Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

For the last couple weeks this has been happening and it is getting worse.  I looked it up and it seems to be a bot but it says I am clear.  What do I need to do to fix this problem.  Every day I get 20 to 80 of these with different names but my email address.  here is a partial sample one that was there today.  Thank you.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
failed: 

then it contains all this info and emails, etc.  What is this and what can I do about it?

Email Expert

Re: email - Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Check your Sent folder to see if anything is in there that you know you didn't send. If there is, then the account has been compromised. In that case you need to change the password to something a lot stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer for the account.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then the most likely thing is that your account is being "spoofed". Spammers can make it look like emails came from you when in fact they did not. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do except notify your contacts of the problem and wait it out. Once a spammer has your email address there is nothing you can do to stop it. But in order to avoid detection they will usually only use an address for a few days or a week and move on to annoy someone else.

Also, use your A/V software to run a complete scan of your machine to see if it can find anything wrong.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Visitor

Re: email - Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Thank you, it was probably spoofed because no sent emails I didn't send and a scan said nothing wrong so I will wait it out.  thanks.  messages aren't even going to my contacts but to every person in the past that aren't in my contacts and it will say from a name I don't know with my email address.  Also today I started getting replies from businesses saying that I replied to email that is not monitored and to call them.  I got about 3 of them today.  Example, care.com  I got this and I haven't used this since 2012.  

Care.com

We're sorry, you must be a Care.com Premium Member to contact caregivers.
Upgrade today to start contacting caregivers near you!