Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

eldy email

Regular Visitor

eldy email

I am trying to use an emulator program called  Eldy that is designed for seniors who have never used a computer. I donwloaded it from eldy.eu. It is safe and free. Everything works fine except the email function. I am trying to read and send email using Gmail with a Google Chrome browser and Comcast as my ISP. I used the recommended settings for gmail in the Eldy software, but keep getting error messages. I used for incoming: pop.gmail.com, port 995. (I enabled pop in my gmail a/c first). For outgoing I used smtp.gmail.com, port 465 and authenicated SSL. When this didn't work, I tried various options, like authenticating the pop (changed the port to 993). I also tried authenicating TLS. I hope you can help me because I will be demonstrating Eldy at a senior center. If it works, it will help many seniors that are struggling to enter the digital world.  Note: Eldy emails works fine as long as I use my Comcast email account. However, the senior center uses Gmail as its email provider.

Email Expert

Re: eldy email

Try setting the Gmail account up with IMAP instead of POP3.  The eldy program may not like POP.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your speedy reply. I already tried using IMAP instead of pop and that didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

Email Expert

I really don't know what to think then.  I am not familiar with the eldy software.  Looking at it I see that it is a program from the UK, and that may have something to do with compatibility going through a U.S. based ISP, but I'm not sure.  I downloaded it to my Mac but I can't even open it because Apple doesn't recognize the developer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Elderly was developed by an Italian nonprofit organization and can be downloaded to PCs and laptops running windows, Linux, and Mac. There is also a version for android tablets. I downloaded it to my laptop and PC. Everything works fine except for the email component. I'll keep trying and if I am successful, I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

Barbara