Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

deleting emails from phone but not computer

New Poster

deleting emails from phone but not computer

I got a new computer recently and the email set up must be different. In the past, I could delete an email from my iphone but it would remain on my computer. But now, if I delete from my phone it's also gone from my computer. I like my phone clutter free so anything that I want to look at or respond to later I want it saved on my computer. What do I need to do to change that?

Email Expert

Re: deleting emails from phone but not computer

bunnygirl1 wrote:

I got a new computer recently and the email set up must be different. In the past, I could delete an email from my iphone but it would remain on my computer. But now, if I delete from my phone it's also gone from my computer. I like my phone clutter free so anything that I want to look at or respond to later I want it saved on my computer. What do I need to do to change that?

From what you have described, your old computer was set up with a desktop client using POP3.  That protocol can be set to download emails and leave a copy on the server.  The default is that otherwise it would download it and then delete it from the server.

IMAP, on the other hand, syncs everything on any device you enable the account on using it.  So if you delete a message on one, it's deleted on all of them.  Comcast accounts are IMAP compliant by default.  The iPhone will detect that when you enable the account on it and auto-configure it accordingly.  So if you are using a client program like Thunderbird or Windows Mail on the new computer, it is probably also using IMAP.  That would explain why you are seeing what you describe.

When accessing your email from multiple devices, IMAP is the recommended protocol.  To change that, you would need to enable the account in the desktop email client using POP3, and set it to save a copy on the server.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon