Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

computer freezes up during the day at times

Regular Visitor

computer freezes up during the day at times

why does my computer freeze up either at the home page or at some of my web sites during the day?? i have a terrible time even shutting the machine off. these things do not happen very early in the day, or early evening....never used to happen...we pay a lot for comcast service...please offer some explanation.

sincerely, 12 felines

Silver Problem Solver

Re: computer freezes up during the day at times

You provided no detail of your computer, os, connections, browser ect. The problem could be anything.

Regular Visitor

Re: computer freezes up during the day at times, screen goes blank

ok, here are the necessary details, i hope....

computer: HP500-336

connection: comcast cable modem

Browser: 1E 11 internet explorer

hopefully, that is what is needed to solve this.

sincerely, 12 felines

Gold Problem Solver

mblair5 wrote: why does my computer freeze up ...

What is the modem model # ? Are you using a Wifi connection or Ethernet?

Check to see if Comcast is reporting an outage for your area by using the voice response system at 1-800-Comcast, the "My Account" app, or by logging in to https://customer.xfinity.com/Secure/MyServices/.

If no outage is reported and you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you'd rather have them do the troubleshooting call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using one of the "Trouble" options at https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/, and have them send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (http://www.xfinity.com/spp/, about $5/mo). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast modem, eMTA, gateway device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Contributor

How old is the computer?  Has it been used a lot just before the freeze-up or is this happening right from the moment it is booted up?

I'm thinking that this has nothing to do with your wifi or network but may be heat-related.  If the computer is over 3 years old and lives in an environment of shag or high-pile carpets, or fur-shedding animals, you may have dust/lint/hair build up inside, forming a blanket on things the fans should be cooling.

A year ago I had to open up a 2007 iMac that is in a remote bedroom upstairs.  That whole  floor and 2/3 of the main floor is carpeted.  Wife & I are oth retired and only two of us in the house.  The hard drive died, and I opened th iMac to rplace it.  The iMac was filthy.  Rug lint all over the place.  Cleaned it out and instaled an SSD.  The machine runs better than new.

Point is all computers will accumulate lint/dust inside.  That will eventually contribute to problems, often like what you describe.  You can try just stickng your vacuum hose at the air intakes and exhausts and then testing for the problem again.  It could be a quick way to eliminate heat as the cause.

Connection Expert

Do other programs on your computer that don't use internet access also freeze up ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon