Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

back up Emails on IMac

Regular Visitor

back up Emails on IMac

I need to copy the Emails which are currently stored on the server to my IMac. I am using Safari to access the mail server. Comcast service is not able to explain how this can be done and referred me to the forum
Most Valued Poster

Re: back up Emails on IMac

The only way to do this is to run an email client program on your IMac, like Outlook Express.   That will download all the messages from the mail server to your Mac, where you can do whatever you like with them.

With any luck, one of the McPeople around here will drop in and suggest the best client program.

Email Expert

Mac OS X comes with a Mail program called "Mail" (Outlook Express is Windows-only). See the FAQ for details on configuring it to access your Comcast mail.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Barmar wrote:
Outlook Express is Windows-only.

Really?  I could swear that my neighbors, before they dumped their Mac, had OE. That was before OS/X, however, so maybe it's changed.
Email Expert

Yeah, there might have been an OE for Mac OS 9.x; or maybe there was Outlook as part of Microsoft Office.  Anyway, in OS X, the Microsoft mail client is Entourage.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Barmar wrote:
Yeah, there might have been an OE for Mac OS 9.x; or maybe there was Outlook as part of Microsoft Office.  Anyway, in OS X, the Microsoft mail client is Entourage.

That's right - I did a little poking around and OE 5.0 was avaible for Mac OS 8.x through 9.x, but was dumped when OS X came along.  Glad I'm not losing my mind (well, I still might be...).
Most Valued Poster

marcusthunn wrote:
Comcast service is not able to explain how this can be done and referred me to the forum

Note That Comcast support refered the OP here!

Anyhow, as Barmer said, your best bet is to set up Mail (the Apple email client) for Comcast. and use that for your email. It is much more versitile than using Safari to access webmail.
New Poster

I have what seems to be a different problem. Mail (on my iMac) is downloading the Comcast emails in present time. However, I need all of my old emails migrated to my Mail program in my iMac, becasue I am noving soon to a locale Comcast does not serve, and will lose my old emails if I can't find a way to move them over to Mail. Any suggestions?

Email Expert

janecuddehe wrote:

I have what seems to be a different problem. Mail (on my iMac) is downloading the Comcast emails in present time. However, I need all of my old emails migrated to my Mail program in my iMac, becasue I am noving soon to a locale Comcast does not serve, and will lose my old emails if I can't find a way to move them over to Mail. Any suggestions?

Please re-post this issue as your own new thread.  The one you are responding to is over 9 years old and I'm closing it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon