Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

all emails downloaded at every bootup

Regular Visitor

all emails downloaded at every bootup

At every bootup of Macbook pro all emails on server downloaded ( not on iMac. Can't get emails to delete after read either one

Customer Expert

Re: all emails downloaded at every bootup

Terminology alert: I'll explain, sort of.

I'm guessing you are leaving all emails on the server and are using the POP protocol rather than IMAP protocol. It may be that you are using POP on one machine and IMAP on the other. POP and IMAP are two different ways of accessing email on a mail server. POP is older and was designed for access from one computer and usually taking the messages off the server. IMAP is newer and for leaving messages on the server and accessed from multiple devices.

To have either machine delete messages off the server when you read them, you need to have both machines accessing the email as IMAP. (Although it's possible to use a mixture, you probably want just IMAP.)

To see what you have, on each machine, go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts. My Mac is older, but has a blue icon with an at sign for POP and a red M for IMAP as shown below.

POPvsIMAPicons.jpg

I would disable the POP account and create a new account that is IMAP and has the same settings as the other computer that is also using IMAP.

If that's not the case, please give us more information.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon