Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfinity email won't download to any 3rd party client

New Poster

Xfinity email won't download to any 3rd party client

On 1/21/18, suddenly all email stop arriving in Outlook 2016.  I ensured all settings were correct and yet it still hangs saying response from the server was interrupted. Sending out email works fine.

Today I tested out more theories, but all were futile.

Same computer, installed Thunderbird.  Connects, but says No New Emails found.  This inbox has lots of email waiting to download.

On a secondary computer, I installed Thunderbird - same error, No Emails found.  In case of a router firewall, I also connected to another internet source (mobile data on the phone), same error.  I also added it as an IMAP - No Email found.  I will likely be trying Outlook 2003 later tonight on that secondary computer.

Back on the first computer, I went back to Outlook 2016 and created the account as an IMAP login.  It hangs as well. "Inbox Check for New Mail."  No errors, Outlook just closes the send/recieve box and doesn't download anything.

This email account, however, is easily accessed via android phone & the web browser.

I'm at my wits end trying to fix this.  The owner of the email prefers Outlook, as she's been using this since the win98 days.  Webmail is a big change for her and replying/creating emails on her phone isn't easy.

Expert

Re: Xfinity email won't download to any 3rd party client

wrote:

On 1/21/18, suddenly all email stop arriving in Outlook 2016.  I ensured all settings were correct and yet it still hangs saying response from the server was interrupted. Sending out email works fine.

Today I tested out more theories, but all were futile.

Same computer, installed Thunderbird.  Connects, but says No New Emails found.  This inbox has lots of email waiting to download.

On a secondary computer, I installed Thunderbird - same error, No Emails found.  In case of a router firewall, I also connected to another internet source (mobile data on the phone), same error.  I also added it as an IMAP - No Email found.  I will likely be trying Outlook 2003 later tonight on that secondary computer.

Back on the first computer, I went back to Outlook 2016 and created the account as an IMAP login.  It hangs as well. "Inbox Check for New Mail."  No errors, Outlook just closes the send/recieve box and doesn't download anything.

This email account, however, is easily accessed via android phone & the web browser.

I'm at my wits end trying to fix this.  The owner of the email prefers Outlook, as she's been using this since the win98 days.  Webmail is a big change for her and replying/creating emails on her phone isn't easy.

If you're setting up for IMAP make sure you have the incoming server set as indicated below.

Incoming server
Server type: IMAP
Server name: imap.email.comcast.net
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Server port: 993

Outgoing server
Server name: smtp.comcast.net
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Server port: 465
Authentication: As incoming mail server
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity email won't download to any 3rd party client

Please be advised that the correct setting for IMAP connections is imap.comcast.net.

While imap.email.comcast.net will work at the moment, it is not an official setting and will become unavailable in the future. Once that is removed it will cause issues for anyone using this setting.

The correct settings for IMAP can be found here How do I manually set up IMAP?