Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity Videos Don’t Play on My Mac

ANSWERED
New Poster

Xfinity Videos Don’t Play on My Mac

I’ve got an iMac running OS 10.9.5, Safari 7.1.

Xfinity Videos have stopped playing on my Mac: when I try to run a video, I get a black screen and no movement on the counter, although the “Pause” button is enabled (implying that the video is running). By contrast, I can watch YouTube videos with no problems.

At Xfinity Support, I found the page “Troubleshoot Audio or Video Issues with XFINITY TV Go Videos,” and tried trashing and re-installing Adobe Flash Player, as described for “Error 5xx” (although that’s not the error I was getting). It worked!—I was able to watch a couple of videos, so I thought “problem solved.” But after I restarted Safari, the problem recurred, and now I’m back where I started.

“Allow Plug-ins” is enabled, and I’ve tried removing “Cookies and other website data” (with no effect on the problem). I’ve also tried using Chrome instead of Safari to get to the Xfinity home page (same results). Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Videos Don’t Play on My Mac

Hi, JayInAlg,

Yesterday, I upgraded my iMac’s operating system to OS 10.10 “Yosemite.” This had no effect on my Xfinity video problem.

Today, following your advice, I executed a “Delete Data” for both options (site data and settings, plus audio and video license files) from both the Storage and Advanced tabs in the Flash Player window of System Preferences.

I had noticed the warning “To clear all browsing history, also clear history data in your browsers” displayed on the “Delete Data” window, so I went to Safari > Clear History and Website Data…, selected “All History,” and clicked on “Clear History,” just to make a clean sweep.

All of the Xfinity videos played OK after these two operations, so my problem seems to be solved. I’m sorry now that I didn’t run a test of the videos after executing the two “Delete Data” operations, since I can’t tell which set of operations—“Delete Data” or “Clear History”—actually solved the problem.

I still notice some minor problems playing Xfinity videos. For example, if I pause a video, play other videos, and then return to the one I paused, Xfinity will sometimes restart that video from the beginning, and sometimes display the “black screen” for a few seconds before starting the next video in the playlist. This, and similar glitches, can be fixed by executing a Safari “Clear History,” so they’re not major problems.

Thanks very much for your help!

View answer in context
Tags (3)
Cable Expert

Can you post a link of which video's are not playing?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Hi, JayInAlg!

Some of the videos offered today (Thursday, 10/16/2014) on the Xfinity Video page play on my Mac; others do not. On the Xfinity home page, I clicked on the first video (“Gluten-free group ‘angry’ at J. Law”) to select it, got transferred to the Xfinity Video page, and got the “black screen” reponse described in my earlier posting. The link shown at top is:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/Gluten-free-group-angry-at-JLaw/343452227558/Comcast/TopVideos/?cid...

I tried selecting other videos displayed (with thumbnail pictures) on the Xfinity Video page, with mixed results: “Sea lion flings fisherman across deck” and “Stars remember ‘La Bamba’ Actress Elizabeth Pena” played OK, but most of the others gave me the “black screen.” The video “Humpback whale flies” played yesterday, after I re-installed Adobe Flash Player, but is not playing now—I get the “black screen” instead.  Could it be a link problem?

Cable Expert

It play's here with the same OS and Safari.  Go into system preferences / flash player and clear out the settings on storage and the advanced tab.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Hi, JayInAlg,

Yesterday, I upgraded my iMac’s operating system to OS 10.10 “Yosemite.” This had no effect on my Xfinity video problem.

Today, following your advice, I executed a “Delete Data” for both options (site data and settings, plus audio and video license files) from both the Storage and Advanced tabs in the Flash Player window of System Preferences.

I had noticed the warning “To clear all browsing history, also clear history data in your browsers” displayed on the “Delete Data” window, so I went to Safari > Clear History and Website Data…, selected “All History,” and clicked on “Clear History,” just to make a clean sweep.

All of the Xfinity videos played OK after these two operations, so my problem seems to be solved. I’m sorry now that I didn’t run a test of the videos after executing the two “Delete Data” operations, since I can’t tell which set of operations—“Delete Data” or “Clear History”—actually solved the problem.

I still notice some minor problems playing Xfinity videos. For example, if I pause a video, play other videos, and then return to the one I paused, Xfinity will sometimes restart that video from the beginning, and sometimes display the “black screen” for a few seconds before starting the next video in the playlist. This, and similar glitches, can be fixed by executing a Safari “Clear History,” so they’re not major problems.

Thanks very much for your help!

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation