Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Sold Email Addresses!

New Poster

Xfinity Sold Email Addresses!

Just recently I've been flooded with spam. 20+ per day. Before it wasn't this bad, a couple a week. Now, my phone has went off twice since starting this post. Here's the basis behind my assumption in the subject. "I have never once used the email to send or receive anything at all, or have I ever used the address to signup or log into anything." How would a spamer even know that this address existed? Comcast not only provides the service for a fee to us, but also sells information on the back end! On the other hand, which doesn't look good for Comcast, is if they didn't sell the information then they've had a data breach.
Email Expert

Re: Xfinity Sold Email Addresses!

Comcast does not sell email addresses, nor have they had any recent big breaches I know of.  There are a lot of ways spammers can get your email address, including just using brute force attacks to guess it.  That you haven't used it for much means little.  They have botnets that can send to millions of potential email addresses in minutes.  The odds are they have to hit on a lot of legitimate ones.  They also use dictionary attacks and so on.  Spam is an ever present annoyance and a continuous battle.  You should find these of interest----------------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I do not disagree with your comments, however, I have many other email accounts and have never had this issue. Thsee are with other companies. So now, if I don't get this from the other companies, where does the issue lie?
Official Employee

423cg wrote:
I do not disagree with your comments, however, I have many other email accounts and have never had this issue. Thsee are with other companies. So now, if I don't get this from the other companies, where does the issue lie?

423cg-

There was a recent compromise that resulted in google relaying a _lot_ of spam. They usually do a relatively good job of filtering their outbound mail, but these were tougher to catch. The spams should be getting caught now. We believe this was (one of) the compromise(s) that was exploited to send the spam:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/1-million-android-accounts-compromised-by-android-malware-ca...

"The rooted devices then download and install software that steals the authentication tokens that allow the phones to access the owner's Google-related accounts without having to enter a password. The tokens work for a variety of Google properties, including Gmail, Google Photos, Google Docs, Google Play, Google Drive, and G Suite."

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

To further what ComcastDaveL said, if someone is compromised (let's say they had a Gmail account that was compromised) and they have you in their contact list... you are now on the spammer's contact list. They cull those and add them to their lists with the assumption that if it is in a personal address book, it is probably valid. 

So if ANYONE who has ever put you in their contact list/address book/recently sent or recived a message from you, is compromised... then your address is compromised.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon