New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Connect Inbox browser tech support scam page redirect

Frequent Visitor

XFINITY Connect Inbox browser tech support scam page redirect

Hi - 

I've noticed increasing frequent redirects of the XFINITY Connect Inbox to fake "tech support" websites. This is happening on multiple systems and browsers, so I doubt this is something unique to me. Are these redirect coming through the servers that feed the ad pane? 

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: XFINITY Connect Inbox browser tech support scam page redirect

And this continues to happen. Here's a screenshot:

comcast.jpg
Official Employee

Hi, amsctalx. My apologies for the delayed response. Do you still get the "tech support" pop-up? What link do you use to access XFINITY email? Is it saved in your bookmarks? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the resonse...

It's not a pop-up so much as a re-direct, and it is still occuring. It occurres sporadically and never immediately after openning the email window. I don't use a bookmark to open it; I navigate to the main site and then select the email icon.

Regular Contributor

I only got the 2016 New E-Mail on April 30, 2017.

I have Premium Malwarebytes Antimalware and I make sure it is always on the latest version (not hard to do, since this program provides excellent notices when updates and/new versions become available).  I have had Malwarebyes jump in many times, lately, and immediately block the Comcast Webmail Page.  This never happened this often before.

Premium Malwarebytes has, in fact, saved my computer in the past--during the various well-known and well publicized previous Comcast E-Mail hacks.

I think there is some lurking vulnerability going on within the Comcast/Xfinity Webmail.

There was, in fact, a hack on Comcast.net Wednesday, May 10, 2017.  This was reported in national news and acknowledged by Comcast Corporate Spokesperson, Jennifer Khoury, during interviews.  I am very, very concerned.

Official Employee

Amsctalx, the tech support popup message you are getting is a popular scam and it can actually appear on any website. Do you have an antivirus software on all your PCs?  

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

ComcastElla:  How can this possibly happen to amsctalx (for instance ) when he/she is only using Comcast links to get to other Comcast links?  Such as, from his Comccast Customer Home Page, then clicking on the "(CC) Mail Icon (link) to get to his Inbox page?  As I explained earlier, Malwarebytes immediately blocked the Comcast E-Mail (webview) Inbox page (site, server, etc.), when I intentionally navigated to it 100%, using Comcast links from the one Comcast User Interface to the other.  Just to make sure that I am being clear--the Malewarebyes block was so immediate, that I never even clicked on one single e-mail on the page.

Could you, please, explain how this can happen?

Official Employee

edron, the software that you have mentioned (Malwarebytes) can block the Comcast email because of the adds. Unfortunately, I can't provide a 100% accurate answer because this is not our software. You may want to reach the Malwarebytes support team to see if they can give a reason why it blocks the XFINITY email website. At the same time, if the web page was infected by any type of the virus, then every Comcast customer would get the popup error message or a redirect. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

ComcastElla:  I was migrated into the "2016 New E-Mail" recently.  This Webmail does not have any ads and/or commercials running on it (as of yet--and I hope it never will).  The Malwarebytes blocked this New Comcast Webmail Page--the nanosecond it loaded.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastElla wrote:

Amsctalx, the tech support popup message you are getting is a popular scam and it can actually appear on any website. Do you have an antivirus software on all your PCs?  

I have Microsoft Security Essentials on several machines, and Avast on several others. All exhibit the same behavior.

And, while this could happen on any site, it happens in the Xfinity Email page the most - by a substantial margin - of any legitimate site that I routinely visit. I assume this is because the ad frame is pulling content from comprimised sources, but it's still your page.