Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Wrong name in email

Regular Visitor

Wrong name in email

My name is incorrect in the "To" field when I receive emails.  It has my address correct, but my name in quotes is wrong. 

I've checked my account setup and my name is correct there.

Any suggestions?

Service Expert

Re: Wrong name in email

There is nothing you can do to change the name in the To: field.

If it is incorrect it's up to the senders to correct it on their end.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you for you response, but this problem exists with every email I have received for a long time from all different sources.  It has to have something to do with my end of things, since other people would not all list me as "Susan Silvey" when my name is "Nancy Silvey", and always has been!!

New Poster

The same has happened to me. If I hover over the displayed name, my correct information appears.  Checked all my settings and they are correct.

I've looked through all the online help and nothing seems to apply.  Could use some advice.

Email Expert

It appears that a lot of people have you in their address book with the incorrect first name.  They probably copied it from a header of another email your address appeared in.  If those folks are using an email program that populates the To: line the same way it does in Comcast, that is the determining factor.  Or they may use a program that allows them to copy your address directly to their address book, only they copied the wrong one.  When I put someone's email address in the To: line using either Comcast or Thunderbird, the person's name appears as it is in my address book.  The recipient has no control over it, only I do.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

I don't think that's the cause.  Here's why:  The wrong name that appears is my son's name.  It occurs when

1. I send an email to anyone from my iPad or iPhone where I have automatic copies sent to my comcast address.

2. It occurs when I reply to a message sent to my comcast email even though the original message had displayed my name correctly. (The display name changes in the message header info in the body of the original email.)

3. When I send an email, my name displays correctly with the original email (I've tested it with family members).

4. It occurs if I send a message to myself from an outside website (for example a shopping site.)

5.  This started happening only a few days ago, even with people who I have communicated frequently with in the past, who always had my name correct, and have no connection to my son, so therefore would have no reason to have his email address in their contact list.

Gold Problem Solver

In addition to XfinityConnect, whayt email client do you use?  Name and version please?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I believe I started experiencing the same problem beginning on 4/24/2013.  In my case, when I view the list of messages in a folder, all email messages I've cc'd to myself are now incorrectly listed as "From" my son's name instead of my name.  This happens only when using the "full" version of Xfinity Connect--the "lite" version still displays the correct "From" name, so there's nothing wrong with the content of the email messages, email and browser settings (which I had not changed when the problem began), or address book.  Does switching to the "lite" version fix your problem?

New Poster

Honestly, I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "Lite" version.

Gold Problem Solver

lbsca wrote:

Honestly, I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "Lite" version.

There are two versions of XfinityConnect, Full and Lite.  To see which version you are using or to change Versions:

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

If you want to change Versions, click on Edit.

Here iss a link with more details about the differences between Full and Lite:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/xfinity-connect-lite/

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Official Employee

To kg415 and ibsca,

Can you let me know if you have any Secondary accounts, possibly one setup for your Son?  You can check your Secondary account on the "My Account" page: 

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/UserSettings/

Please let me know.  

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, the incorrect name being displayed is that of one of the secondary accounts.

Official Employee

Please just verify that you are not signed in as the secondary user when sending the email test.  If you are not, then it could be something going wrong with the delivery of the emails.  

Can you Private Message me your Email address you are using and let me know which Secondary is showing up on your email?

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Gold Problem Solver

Here are the directions for sending a Private Message:

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope  screenshot.108.jpg

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.  A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.  screenshot.107.jpg

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message.  You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post.  By default, Private Messages are enabled.  You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKen wrote:

Please just verify that you are not signed in as the secondary user when sending the email test.  If you are not, then it could be something going wrong with the delivery of the emails.  

Can you Private Message me your Email address you are using and let me know which Secondary is showing up on your email?

Thanks,

I do not need to send email to see the problem.  When I use the Full version to view any folder containing messages I've cc'd to myself, every message, even those that are years old, incorrectly shows my son's name in the From column instead of mine.  When I use the Lite version or the Xfinity mobile app to view the same folders/messages, the name in the From column is correct.  I checked the source of a few of the incorrectly displayed messages, and confirmed that the From: header field correctly contains my name and email address, and my son's name/address appear nowhere in these messages.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Re:

Official Employee

hello, I've sent you a private message requesting more information to help resolve.

Regards,

ComcastBrian

Community Icon

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

As I suspected, the problem was a defect in the full version of Xfinity Connect, which was corrected several weeks after I reported it.  However, Comcast Customer Punishment first wasted hours of my time making me jump through hoops to convince them that the problem was not caused by a misconfiguration of my account/software, and broke my email address for an afternoon in the process.  Lesson learned.

New Poster

Hi there,

How did you eventually get this fixed?  I'm having the same problem and it's for a work email.  This is terrible!!!

New Poster

Hi Brian,

I'm having the same problem as this person regarding the wrong name coming up in my email.  I really need to have this fixed, can you help?