Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Won't accept my mobile number or other recovery options for my non-primary accounts ("users")

Contributor

Won't accept my mobile number or other recovery options for my non-primary accounts ("users")

Since I have been stuck on “connecting to chat” for 45 minutes, I’ll try the forum instead.

All of my “users” are actually alternate accounts for me, i.e. so I can have multiple Comcast email addresses to use for different purposes. Lately I have been getting emails from Comcast on some of these accounts asking me to set up recovery options, but none of them will accept my mobile number because they say it is already being used (it is already set up on one of the other five alternate accounts). It is also refusing to accept alternate email addresses that I am using with other users, or my other Comcast email addresses (both of which were apparently allowed in the past, since several of my users already share recovery addresses and/or have my other Comcast addresses listed as recovery options).

How do I get around these issues? Not surprisingly, I only have one mobile number no matter which “me” is seeking use of it as a recovery option. It seems strange that sub-accounts for the same primary user won't allow use of the same mobile number (free email providers seem to allow the same number to be used for completely independent accounts.) The only thing that will "take" without issue is secret question (which was already set up for all the users).

Thanks.

Email Expert

Re: Won't accept my mobile number or other recovery options for my non-primary accounts ("users

The original intent of the secondary accounts was so that different people in the same household could have their own email account.  That's why you can't use the same phone number for more than one of them.  It's also about security.  Using the same recovery information for more than one account means that if one of them gets compromised, they are all on the block.  You can use another email address instead, but it has to be a non-Comcast account, and one that's not already being used for one of the other secondary accounts.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: Won't accept my mobile number or other recovery options for my non-primary accounts ("users

What do you think the rationale might have been for no longer allowing other Comcast email accounts to be chosen as recovery addresses?  As I said, they did allow this in the past, and in my case, some remain in place as recovery options.

BTW, I highly doubt I'm the only person who set up additional accounts for myself.  E.g., one account strictly for close family and friends, another primarily for online purchasing, another primarily for banking.  This has really served me well, although there are some downsides in the smartphone era.

Email Expert

I'm guessing they changed it because of all the hacks in the news in recent times.  Comcast is not unique in this.  Many ISPs and other email or other account providers are switching to two-factor authentication.  And yes, I also use secondary accounts with Comcast for myself, but I have other email accounts I use for the 2nd factor.  Right now I have about 11 or 12 email accounts, including 3 with Comcast.  I use Yahoo, Outlook.com and Mail.com accounts for the recovery information.  One of the best known hacks that involved using the same information with multiple accounts happened with Matt Honan.  Google his name and you will see what I mean.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon