Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Windows Live Mail as server with Comcast as email provider

Regular Visitor

Windows Live Mail as server with Comcast as email provider

I have WLM on my Dell XPS18 running WIN8.1. I followed the directions on Xfinity customer help for configuring WLM 2011 for Comcast email HOWEVER there are conflicting port numbers given in those instructions (993 & 587) and two others that I read on the forum.(465 & 995)  Please clarify what PORT number are to be used.. for WLM and then if I want to add Hotmail to my WLM account I end up with 157 & 193?????

Networking Expert

Re: Windows Live Mail as server with Comcast as email provider

The instructions at http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/connect-on-windows do not have 'conflicting port numbers' Those instructions are for setting up an IMAP connection, and the port numbers refer to the requiremnts for Incoming server (port 993) and Outgoing server (port 587).

Port 465 can be used as an alternative to 587 if you want to send your mail using SSL Encryption.

Port 995 refers to the secure port used by a POP3 connection ( a different mail protocol to IMAP), which is an older standard.

If you allow WLM to automatically set up your connection to the Hotmail servers, by just entering in your email address and password,  it will use whatever ports Microsoft use as defaults for their servers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon