Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Will my e-mail information be lost?

Regular Visitor

Will my e-mail information be lost?

I use mac mail client on my desktop and comcast as my provider. If I cancel comcast internet service and set up with a different internet service on mac mail, will I lose all info in my desktop e-mail account (folders and address book) or will I only lose info at my comcast web-based e-mail account?

Email Expert

Re: Will my e-mail information be lost?

Are you using POP3 or IMAP in Mac Mail for the Comcast account?  With POP anything you have in local folders should be safe.  As a precaution I would move anything you have in that Inbox into local folders.

IMAP I'm not so sure about.   I've never done what you are about to do myself.  I have begun an experiment by creating a Comcast account, putting some junk emails in it, set it up in Mac Mail as an IMAP account. Then I deleted the account from the server.  As of right now those folders and messages are still showing and the account is still usable in Mail.   When you cancel an account that was set up in a client like Mail, or Thunderbird or some other, the user ID is suspended by Comcast for 90 days and then released back into the pool of available IDs for any other customer who wants it.  But during the 90 days the account it may actually be active (no guarantee)------you just can't get at it through the webmail portal any more.

So if you move or copy important emails into local folders you should be OK.  But again, I won't know for sure until my 90 days is up around Nov. 6th.  Then the account should be dead.  I'll re-check Mail to see if those messages are still in there.  I did the same thing once before and that account stayed active and usable through Mail the entire 90 days.  But there were no local folders or any emails in it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Latoque, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.  My Mac Mail Comcast account uses POP3.  I have already switched to a different internet service provider (still using Mac Mail, which the new ISP uses IMAP). I moved all incoming mail from my Comcast inbox to my new ISP's inbox and then into folders. Both accounts are currently on my Mac Mail as I have not yet canceled Comcast until I'm sure I won't lose everything in my folders.  I can switch from one account to the other without any changes to my folders. I'm hoping since it isn't a web-based e-mail account I'll be ok.  I'm not concerned with losing my Comcast user ID because I have informed all my contacts with my new e-addy.

Thank you for your help!

Email Expert

OK if you were using POP3 then anything you had in local folders in Mail should be safe.  IMAP here is the unknown factor to me.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I have canceled my comcast account last week, but am still able to use it here to reply to you using my comcast e-addy and pw... and I'm still receiving mail in my comcast inbox.  I'm guessing when the billing cylce is over I will no longer have access (??).   Everything in my Mac Mail account is as it should be (crossing fingers it doesn't change after the billing cycle).  Hopefully my new ISP will last me for a long while since IMAP is quite different from POP3. 

Thank you, again, for your replies, much appreciated!

Email Expert

Well like I said------I was able to use the account for a full 90 days after I had deleted it because it was enabled in Mail.  It was still running in the background, I just couldn't access it using the webmail UI.  IMAP is now the preferred protocol of most ISPs and email providers.  This is due to the fact that so many people now access their email from more than just their desktop, using smartphones, laptops and tablets.  POP3 was fine when the vast majority of people had only a desktop or laptop as their main computing and email options.  It still has it's niche though depending on your circumstances and usage.

It will be interesting to see if you can access that account after the end of your billing cycle.  Please post back and let us know.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon