Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

WiFi LIght Flashing...WHY?!

ANSWERED
Valued Contributor

WiFi LIght Flashing...WHY?!

For the last 5 hours, maybe more....I only noticed it about 5 hours ago, the WiFi light on my modem has been flashing FAST..not just blinking. It flashes really fast for a few secoonds, stops for maybe 20-30, (if that) then flashes again. I don't use anything WiFi, I just use the modem for TV, phone, and internet.

Why is that thing flashing?! Other than my curiousity getting to me, everything seems to be working fine. I thought it would eventually stop doing it but it isn't. Anyone that can answer my question will have my thanks...and I can let my curiousity rest! It's never done that before either which adds to the "mystery"!

EDIT: Btw...I don't have a router either.

Accepted Solution

Re: WiFi LIght Flashing...WHY?!

ngs4509 wrote:

For the last 5 hours, maybe more....I only noticed it about 5 hours ago, the WiFi light on my modem has been flashing FAST..not just blinking. It flashes really fast for a few secoonds, stops for maybe 20-30, (if that) then flashes again. I don't use anything WiFi, I just use the modem for TV, phone, and internet.

Why is that thing flashing?! Other than my curiousity getting to me, everything seems to be working fine. I thought it would eventually stop doing it but it isn't. Anyone that can answer my question will have my thanks...and I can let my curiousity rest! It's never done that before either which adds to the "mystery"!

The WiFi is always running....  regardless of you connecting to it or not.... in fact, in some markets CC has rolled out xfinitywifi so that CC users can login and use the neighborhood wifi concept...   not sure if you can see the traffic, but do not be alarmed, it is not charged to your account...     You can disable your neighborhood xfinitywifi if you want to...

View answer in context
Service Expert

ngs4509 wrote:

The WiFi is always running....  regardless of you connecting to it or not.... in fact, in some markets CC has rolled out xfinitywifi so that CC users can login and use the neighborhood wifi concept...   not sure if you can see the traffic, but do not be alarmed, it is not charged to your account...     You can disable your neighborhood xfinitywifi if you want to...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I'd heard recently about that neighborhood Wi-Fi thing on my local news...and how a lot of people weren't happy about it because they weren't told about it...or that they had the option to opt out of it. This was a mystery though to me because until yesterday I'd never had that happen. (the repeated flashing...in fact it's doing it right now) I live in a very rural area on the ocean beach too. Not sure if that makes any difference. (come to think of it, maybe that's the point of "sharing" the W FI, a tech geek I'm not!) ANYWAY!...again, I appreciate your reply. As long as it doesn't effect me, I can relax...though I think I might opt out anyway. It's either that or put some black tape over the flashing light! BTW....what does it mean when it's flashing? Is someone "tapping in" to it? Now I'm less concerned but more curious!

Contributor

When the WiFi light on your gateway is flashing it means that a device on your wifi network/or the public xfinitywifi network is transferring data. In other words, something is using your WiFi, but you shouldn't be alarmed, becuase even if your not using your wifi network, the public xfinitywifi network is most likely being used, because the WiFi light will flash for any kind of WiFi access wether it be your home's wifi or the xfinitywifi signal. Also, jus tto remind you, the xfinitywifi signal is NOT free to everyone, it is unlocked but when a person connects it will ask them to login to their comcast account(free to comcast customers) or pay an access fee(non-comcast customers) also it is secured from your home network.

ngs4509 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I'd heard recently about that neighborhood Wi-Fi thing on my local news...and how a lot of people weren't happy about it because they weren't told about it...or that they had the option to opt out of it. This was a mystery though to me because until yesterday I'd never had that happen. (the repeated flashing...in fact it's doing it right now) I live in a very rural area on the ocean beach too. Not sure if that makes any difference. (come to think of it, maybe that's the point of "sharing" the W FI, a tech geek I'm not!) ANYWAY!...again, I appreciate your reply. As long as it doesn't effect me, I can relax...though I think I might opt out anyway. It's either that or put some black tape over the flashing light! BTW....what does it mean when it's flashing? Is someone "tapping in" to it? Now I'm less concerned but more curious!

Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot to both of you. I really do appreciate it. That flashing light makes you wonder what's going on....especially if you're not a "geek". I'm not clueless, but I don't know a lot about this particular subject. I guess I can relax, huh? Thanks again..

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation