Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Which Modem should I get if on the "Blast!" plan? Other ?s regarding buying modems.

Regular Contributor

Which Modem should I get if on the "Blast!" plan? Other ?s regarding buying modems.

Hi, 

I keep getting messages from Comcast saying I need to upgrade my modem. And I have been experiencing some issues, so it is definitely time to upgrade.

I am currently on the "Blast!" plan. I have my phone with Comcast as well, so I will need a modem that has phone support too. 

My questions are:

1) Which modem should I get?

2) Can I buy the modem for a decent price myself so I don't have to pay a lease fee every month?

3) Can I buy a modem that allows multiple computers to be hooked up so I don't have to use a router as well?

4) Should I get that 3 in 1 (internet, TV, voice) box they have? I believe it is called the X1? Or should I have a standalone box for the internet and voice. I will only consider the X1 if it is faster than any other modem out there. Otherwise, i would prefer to keep it separate from my internet and phone just because of the layout of my house. 

Also, just a side question, does Comcast offer standalone cable TV boxes that are as good and with a HD user interface like the X1?

Problem Solver

Re: Which Modem should I get if on the "Blast!" plan? Other ?s regarding bu

Fklow wrote:

Hi, 

I keep getting messages from Comcast saying I need to upgrade my modem. And I have been experiencing some issues, so it is definitely time to upgrade.

I am currently on the "Blast!" plan. I have my phone with Comcast as well, so I will need a modem that has phone support too. 

My questions are:

2) Can I buy the modem for a decent price myself so I don't have to pay a lease fee every month?

3) Can I buy a modem that allows multiple computers to be hooked up so I don't have to use a router as well?

4) Should I get that 3 in 1 (internet, TV, voice) box they have? I believe it is called the X1? Or should I have a standalone box for the internet and voice. I will only consider the X1 if it is faster than any other modem out there. Otherwise, i would prefer to keep it separate from my internet and phone just because of the layout of my house. 

Also, just a side question, does Comcast offer standalone cable TV boxes that are as good and with a HD user interface like the X1?

Okay will adress the parts I have a clue on...

#1 You need to make sure any modem you buy is DOCSIS 3 capable meaning almost any current device. Update message is due to either a really old DOCSIS 1 or DOCSIS 2 modem in use or still listed on account.

#2 you have voice so need an eMTA device, check with local franchise to see if they allow user owned (most do).

#3 You could buy an all in wonder, but that puts your eggs in a single basket and choice of basket are sparse and none too shiny. Breaking out to separate router gives you more flexibility and upgrade path. Check out discussions on the boards about recommended hardware.

#4 sorry not a clue so no opinion  to offer.

New Poster

Re: Which Modem should I get if on the "Blast!" plan? Other ?s regarding buying modems.

A) Get a modem that works for you from Comcast's approved modem list making sure it is at least DOCSIS3. The list is here. Make sure it is a "telephony modem".

A) In many areas you can but make sure to ask Comcast in your area. Make sure the model you buy is approved for retail by Comcast.

A) The model you are looking for is the Arris TG862G. This is the only currently approved Gateway that includes phone support that is avalable for retail. I would recommend the use of a router as it allows easier upgrading of the wifi(3yr) seperate of your modem(5yr-10yr).

A) The X1 platform still uses seperate boxes for TV and Internet/Phone. There is no all in one box.

A) The X1 system can be deployed as a standalone DVR in your home if necessary. The cost for this may be higher than normal but Comcast has been trying to eliminate all legacy iGuide based boxes from the system so they will probably help you out. Contact Comcast to add the X1 box to your account..

Connection Expert

Re: Which Modem should I get if on the "Blast!" plan? Other ?s regarding buying modems.

Year and a half old topic locked..

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon