Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

What if I dont want imap for comcast on my iPhone

New Poster

What if I dont want imap for comcast on my iPhone

My iPhone 5 (Version 8.1.2) automatically sets Comcast up for iMap and I dont want messages to automatically disapear off my phone when recieved on my computer. Anyway to prevent this? Anyway to go back to POP3?

Thank you anyway however that is not a good option for me. I did find a work around though. Since my iPhone identifies Comcast as having IMAP available and defaults to it, I was able to add my info for this Comcast account, but I spelled Comcast wrong when setting up the account. The iPhone then proceeded to have me set it up as a POP type account, which is what I want. I then went back in and edited the original email address by adding the correctly spelled email address, and deleting the incorrectly spelled email address.

My only problem with the imap type account is that when I receive the mail on my computer, it removes any I received on my phone and I sometimes want to be able to save emails on the phone for future / mobile reference.

Official Employee

Re: What if I dont want imap for comcast on my iPhone

Based upon your description, it will be better for you to change your computer's connection setting to IMAP.It sounds like your computer is deleting messages from the server using a POP connection and that's why you are seeing this behavior. Then you will see consistent messages on your computer as well as the iPhone. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

XC Team

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Can you clarify this response?  If I use imap on both my iphone5 and computer (Windows Live Mail) will messages NOT delete from my phone when I download them on the computer?

Email Expert

Yes.  The whole point of using IMAP is that it syncs your account on any devices that you have it enabled on as long as they are all set up to use IMAP.  If you have one of them enabled using POP3, it will download the messages and then delete them from the server.  POP3 is really only suited for using your email on only one computer or other device.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon