Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Webmail/imap question

Contributor

Webmail/imap question

Recently changed my comcast email connections to imap (using outlook 2010, ipad, iphone).  It all seems to be working fine on the devices.  I removed the pop accounts and set up new imap accounts in each device----letting them establish all the connection information.

I'm finding that comcast webmail seems to still be in pop mode?  I look at preferences and pop is still checked.  I don't seem to be able to move the preferences to imap successfully.  At this poin t the incoming mail is staying empty on webmail viewing.  I would like to check in via webmail on a future international trip.  Any ideas how to resolve??? 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Webmail/imap question

Webmail is neither pop or imap....It is webmail.

email will stay on webmail until you delete it there or thru one of your email clients on your devices.

Deleting an email from a device set up as IMAP will delete it from the server and it will no longer show in webmail.

Contributor

Thanks for the response.  What about the settings in the "preferences" which indicate that the accounts are POP?  What do they do?

Email Expert

You need to clarify------exactly where do you see POP?  What "preferences" are you referring to?  If all your devices are using IMAP then the emails should also be in the webmail interface when you access it using a browser.  You don't set POP or IMAP in a webmail account-----only in a desktop email client like Outlook, Thunderbird or some other, OR on a smartphone or a tablet, which have apps that act like a client.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Entering webmail from xfinity home page,

there is the preferences tab above the mail browser.  Inside it lists each account and TYPE whith the option to change from POP to IMAP.  All my email accounts show POP 

Bronze Problem Solver

You have the multiple accounts set up there right?   They show as folders in your webmail when you login to the main email?

You would have made it pop or imap when you added it to your main account so you could access it in the same main log in.

It makes no real difference if it is POP or IMAP other than whether a copy is left on the server when you delete it there or whether it is deleted off the other server.

The area you are talking about under preferences is for adding other email accounts so that you can view them in one web login.  They can be either Xfinity email accounts or email accounts from other providers.

This is what you are talking about right?

Untitled.png

Contributor

Yes, that is where it shows all POP.  can not change it to IMAP. 

No mail is showing on xfinity.

Outlook is working IMAP

problem is no email is showing in the access through above.

Bronze Problem Solver

Are you talking about a secondary email account set up there?  If so you have to set up that account with the correct port setting for it to show email in your main Xfinity email account.  It will then only show in a folder with the name set for that account not in the main inbox.  It will really make no difference much whether that account is set to pop or imap other than if it is connecting with imap and you delete a message it should delete it off the other server. 

That connection of additional accounts either Xfinity accounts or other email domain accounts is also flakey.....You are better off loging into each different account seperately or using a stand alone email program.

You need to be far more specific with what you are asking about.   Are you talking about multiple different Xfininty email accounts showing in one login?   Are you talking a mix of different accounts from different providers showing in your Xfinity account like Gmail etc?

If you are only talking about 1 account your main Xfinity email....It is all set as it is only webmail and there is absolutely no reason to change anything.