Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Web access with older computer

Regular Visitor

Web access with older computer

An older desktop has a good router signal but will not access any web pages including comcast.net.  It runs Windows 7 accessing the router signal through a Netgear WG111T.  Worked fine until I put computer in closet several years ago.  Since I brought it out six months or so ago, it will not connect with anything even Windows HomeGroup computers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Web access with older computer

First thing I would look at would be the lan card (driver) yet not being able to access the net to update would create an issues.. Scan you system for bugs or errors.. check the system registry and device manager for anything attempting to load more than once.. If your lan card is out dated, and can be removed I would suggest seeking an alliterative via a thrift store or computer junk shop.

I tend to keep only computer things laying around in a box just in case I might need something later on. One thing that you may need to check, would be is if your lan cable is a cross over and worn. new cables would be needed at this point. Look for any back up disks or system recovery disks, this could mean a full format and reinstall..

Most prob wouldn't reply to this post or if they did it would geared more towards steering you towards a new system. Be creative and do not fear removing components from the chases.