Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Warning to people being switched to the new email client - more spam coming your way

Regular Visitor

Warning to people being switched to the new email client - more spam coming your way

I have just noticed that having been switched to the new web email client that by default it automatically loads HTML images. 

Many may ask "what is wrong with that?" The simple answer is that these images can be used by spammers, and those that would wish to phish for identity theft, to validate that your email account is not only valid but also being actively used. 

(Yes I know there are other ways being used too but this is so simple and easy for spammers!)

If you have recently been switched to the new email client and you are now receiving lot more spam email you now know the reason why….

This is such a terrible decision to make it the default as most people will not understand the implication of this.  

To turn this off :  click on the gear wheel in the top right hand corner, then click on “Mail” ( not any of the sub folders) and then unclick “Allow preloading of externally linked images” ( note you should also probably click on “show requests for read receipts “  ( I haven’t found where to turn off that function yet!)         

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation