Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Viewing the headers from a phishing email

Contributor

Viewing the headers from a phishing email

I received a phishing email reporting to be from Comcast.  I want to send it to abuse@comcast.net,  but I need to send them the original headers, not just forward it.  I can't figure out how, although I swear I've done it before.  I'm using an android tablet.  Can't be done on the XFINITY Connect app.  But even when I login and view my emails with my Chrome browser,  the webmail page has no option to view the headers.  Anyone know how I can do this?  It's a pretty believable email, and I'd like for security to see it.  Thx

Email Expert

Re: Viewing the headers from a phishing email

I'm using Chrome on a Mac, but I don't know if that makes any difference.  Try right-clicking on the message in the list, and in the menu that you see click on "View Source".

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thx. I've read that in the instructions that Comcast sent me.  Being on a mobile device, there is no right click of course.  But the solution you  suggest might be the answer. That I have to try this on my PC, not my tablet.  Perhaps there would be that very option.  I was just discouraged when I went through Chrome into my emails through Comcast webmail, and saw no option for it, as I thought there might be.  I guess I'll try firing up my old clunker and see if I can do it.  Thx again!

Email Expert
Moved:

Contributor

Thx. I've read that in the instructions that Comcast sent me.  Being on a mobile device, there is no right click of course.  But the solution you  suggest might be the answer. That I have to try this on my PC, not my tablet.  Perhaps there would be that very option.  I was just discouraged when I went through Chrome into my emails through Comcast webmail, and saw no option for it, as I thought there might be.  I guess I'll try firing up my old clunker and see if I can do it.  Thx again!

Problem Solver

when i open mail, and click to highlite a email in the list, (w/o opening that email), the menu bar choices include an "action" drop down, which allows selecting "view source".    Selecting that choice displays the header info you want.   (that is, if you have that action dropdown and it's view source selection)

Contributor

Unfortunately,  from my mobile device, view source is not one of my options under actions. Later today, I'm going to crank up my PC and see if the options are different there.  I know I've done this before,  so it's a bit frustrating.  I easily could be not remembering correctly,  and that I only did it on my PC, not on my mobile device.   I'll post if I'm successful.   Thanks!

Email Expert

Removed---duplicate

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

FYI, turns out that the only way to view the source is from a PC/laptop.  As soon as I accessed my email from my PC, I could right click and select view source. So I was able to provide it to Comcast.  So their appears to be no easy way to do this on mobile. Thx for the suggestions.