Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Very Frustrated-email constantly being spoofed since Ma

Frequent Visitor

Very Frustrated-email constantly being spoofed since Ma

I have recevied about 30 emails from myself since the end of May. I have called the security dept 4 times already and each time got the same answer, change my password, my security questions, which I have done multiple times already. Also tried selling me IDENTITY GUARD. One tech actually told me that he had to end "all" my sessions that were open and it should be fixed, NOT.  At first thought how could I have sessions open, did not understand that. He said that is how my email is being compromised. Well that didnt work, started getting emails from myself again. All spam. I was told the first time to foward all the emails which I did, but I was not told to copy the source of the email, so basically that was a waste of my time, which I found out the 4th time I called. After my fourth phone call, which btw the tech never heard of them having to end "all" my sessions out there. He suggested to me to install MALAWAREBYTES on my computers and and make sure that my virus software is up to date and run a scan everyday. Which is what I did. Unfortunatley there isnt a malware scan for a MAC that I can find. He also said there is a virus/malware called logging that could possibly be the problem. He suggest I run the malware scan and virus scan and then change my passeord and security answers, which I did.

I am at a loss, I even went as far as changing my user name not knowing that my email address would be changed. Thankfully comcast was able to recover my email. The IT guy at my job recommended logging out of my email on all my devices, change my password & security answers again and use one computer to access my email for a week. I have two computers a MAC and a Windows computer. I always accessed my email from the MAC, and two months ago I had to take my MAC to Best Buy, I was having problems with it, I forgot to log out of my email onthe app on the MAC and couldnt do it at best buy it was frozen. I changed all my passwords when I got home. Two weeks later I got the MAC back with a new hard drive, thats when I started getting emails from myself. At that point I did not use the app to access my email on the MAC, I accessed it from comcast.net. Coincidence, I thought so until I no longer accessed it from the MAC and did what was suggested to me, but now its happening again. I also deleted my email account from the app on my Iphone and my Ipad. I did use the Xfinity APP to access my email the other day and low & behold I got an email from my comcast email address today. I already changed my email on important accounts to a different email.

Sorry for the long post, but at this point I about to delete my email because I can't get a straight answer as to what to do. Each time I called I got a different answer/suggestion as to what to do besides the obvious and its very frustrating. Whose to say that my personal information cant be compromised or isnt already. Obviuosly my email is compromised and continues to be. Can't anyone at comast look into this??? You cant tell me that there is no way of resolving this. Hopefully someone on here can help me.

Email Expert

Re: Very Frustrated-email constantly being spoofed since Ma

Did they have you check your Sent folder to see if there is anything there you know you didn't send?  If there is then the account has been compromised and the security advice they gave you is valid.  But if it looks OK then you are indeed being spoofed.  It is insanely easy for spammers to make emails look like they are coming from your account when they are not.  Changing passwords in such a case would have no effect on anything.  Most of the time, spammers will use an address for a couple of weeks or so and then move on to bother someone else.  There really isn't much else you can do but wait it out, or as you mentioned------change the email address.

You should find this informative-----------------

https://askleo.com/why_am_i_getting_spam_from_myself/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi Thank you for responding, none of those emails were in my sent box, I mentioned that to the tech and he said because they delete them. Do you know if thats true? Becuase then to me if they can delete emails they send then they have access to my account. Do you know if a spammer would need access to my email account in order to spoof my email?

When I look at the source most of the time I can see the actual email address, example info@indstate.edu or info@mit.edu.

Email Expert

Spammers don't need access to the actual account to spoof it.  They can easily just change the From: field that the recipient sees.  There are a number of ways they could have got hold of your email address, and once they have it they can spoof at will.  Are you getting reports from anyone in your address book that they are getting junk mail from your address, or is it only you getting it?

While it is possible the account has been compromised, it's more likely that it's just being spoofed since it's a lot easier to do than an actual hack.  As for thos eother addresses you can see in the headers, most of them are also probably spoofed themselves.  Spammers make it very difficult to determine what actual email address they send from, and they change them frequently to try and fool spam filtering systems.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon