New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Verifying port 3306 is still not blocked by Comcast

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Verifying port 3306 is still not blocked by Comcast

I'm trying to connect to a MySQL database on a hosting site. They use port 3306 for remote mysql connections. However, I can't seem to connect.

I've tried this from two different locations which both use Comcast with no luck.

I read the document that shows the listing of blocked ports: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/ and I can see that 3306 is not listed.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why I cannot connect.

To try and connect, I've added my IP address (from both locations) to the list of remote hosts allowed to access via IP in my hosting panel, but that didn't work. I've also wildcarded my IP address, in the event it was an error on my end with specifying the IP, but that hasn't worked either.

I've tried to telnet to the server I'm accessing for MySQL, but all I get is the following:

$ telnet 77.104.139.219 3306

Trying 77.104.139.219...

telnet: connect to address 77.104.139.219: Operation timed out

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

And finally, when I use a tool like the Open Port Checker: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ - it shows me that the port is closed on my external IP.

To me, it seems like the port is blocked.

Can anyone shed some light on this or tell me how to get this fixed? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Verifying port 3306 is still not blocked by Comcast

Thank you Bruce.

As it turns out, the hosting company had the port blocked on their end, but they are so used to user error, they never bothered to double check until I jumped through all their hoops.

So it wasn't Comcast at all. They've opened the port and I am now able to get in.

View answer in context
Regular Visitor

Am I asking this question in the wrong place?

Gold Problem Solver

When I run your Telnet command I get this response:

5.6.28-76.1-log⌐iMog8~612!☻ǧDB^1x.u(b80(mysql_native_password

So the port appear to be open. If you are using a Comcast gateway device, try setting the firewall security to Low, or just for testing purposes, to None. If using other equipment, please post modem and router model numbers.

... it shows me that the port is closed on my external IP. ...

When I run http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ for that IP I get this response:

Port 3306 is open on 77.104.139.219

So it's possible the site is blocking your Comcast public IP, or maybe the site was down for a time. Can you try this from a connection that uses a different IP? If your Comcast IP is being blocked you'll need to get help from the site's admins.

Regular Visitor

Thank you Bruce.

As it turns out, the hosting company had the port blocked on their end, but they are so used to user error, they never bothered to double check until I jumped through all their hoops.

So it wasn't Comcast at all. They've opened the port and I am now able to get in.

Gold Problem Solver

Glad you got it!