Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

User E-mail Address

Contributor

User E-mail Address

Is it possible to create/use an e-mail address that ends in something other than comcast.net?  I have an e-mail only account with RCN so that I can continue to use the e-mail address @erols.com that I have had since 1995.  My out going mail in Thunderbird goes through stmp.comcast.net, but my incoming mail comes through pop.starpower.net.  Reason I'm asking is RCN has become unreliable. Always having outages.  I have always wondered, since I have a Comcast account and have it set up that way, does my incoming mail go through Comcast at all, or just goes through RCN to my Thunderbird inbox?

Service Expert

Re: User E-mail Address

mdyoung216 wrote:

Is it possible to create/use an e-mail address that ends in something other than comcast.net? 

All residential Comcast email uses @comcast.net

I have an e-mail only account with RCN so that I can continue to use the e-mail address @erols.com that I have had since 1995.  My out going mail in Thunderbird goes through smtp.comcast.net [I corrected the typo], but my incoming mail comes through pop.starpower.net.  Reason I'm asking is RCN has become unreliable. Always having outages.  I have always wondered, since I have a Comcast account and have it set up that way, does my incoming mail go through Comcast at all, or just goes through RCN to my Thunderbird inbox?

You can check this in Thunderbird.  Click on the email address in the left pane.  In the right pane under Accounts click on View settings for this account, then on Server settings under that email address.  That will tell you the incoming server for that account.  For outgoing scroll down to Outgoing server and click on the email address in the right pane to see your settings.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

That is where I got the incoming and outgoing settings from.   So if my incoming mail is set to pop.starpower.net in Thunderbird does that mean all incoming mail goes through just my RCN account, and doesn't touch Comcast at all?  Problem I'm having since 11/17/17 is I can send e-mail in Thunderbird without a problem, which goes through smtp.comcast.net, but nothing sent to my erols.com or starpower.net e-mail addresses show up in Thunderbird.  I'm assume the problem is with my RCN account, not Comcast, but just want to be certain.

Service Expert

mdyoung216 wrote:

That is where I got the incoming and outgoing settings from.   So if my incoming mail is set to pop.starpower.net in Thunderbird does that mean all incoming mail goes through just my RCN account, and doesn't touch Comcast at all?  Problem I'm having since 11/17/17 is I can send e-mail in Thunderbird without a problem, which goes through smtp.comcast.net, but nothing sent to my erols.com or starpower.net e-mail addresses show up in Thunderbird.  I'm assume the problem is with my RCN account, not Comcast, but just want to be certain.

Your Comcast mail is coming through the Comcast servers, and your RCN mail is coming in through the other servers, not touching Comcast at all.  If you're not able to get those emails the problem is with RCN and not with Comcast.

As far as outgoing mail, are you saying that you're using smtp.comcast.net for outgoing RCN mail?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon