members

online now

discussions

Unable to access GoDaddy hosting

ANSWERED
New Poster

Unable to access GoDaddy hosting

Hi,

I have an issue where I am unable to access my server hosted with GoDaddy. GoDaddy have changed the IP address for me several times, but I get the same issue:

when I run a traceroute it fails at the router, when I try to ping it it fails to resolve. It isn't a DNS issue as the domain name will resolve to the IP address, but I can't seem to access any GoDaddy IP ranges.

Where it gets even stranger is if I switch from my wireless network on to the open one (xfinitywifi) then it works fine.

Any ideas how to resolve? I have tried comcast support but they don't seem to even understand what I am asking about - one helpfully provided me with my own IP address!!

The current IP address is: 107.180.48.137 if anyone else wants to try!

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to access GoDaddy hosting

captain_blair wrote: I unplugged it for 20 minutes earlier and no change. ...

I'm not very familiar with the TC8305 and only know that users have reported a number of odd problems with it (mostly VPN failures, if I remember correctly). If it was me I'd swap it out, preferably for a different model. Nothing Godaddy could do would result in the traces you posted. That's got to be your equipment, or Comcast. Again, I'm thinking it's most likely a fault in the gateway.

If Godaddy is blocking you they'd be blocking your public Comcast IP, not your MAC. AFAIK the TC8305 doesn't allow you to change your MAC address. But swapping out the device will change your MAC address, which should change your IP, so if blocking is a problem you'd be taking care of that as well.

If you don't have their phone service, consider replacing Comcast's buggy gateways with a straight cable modem and a separate router.

View answer in context
tracert.jpeg
Gold Problem Solver

Look OK from Central PA:

C>tracert 107.180.48.137

Tracing route to ip-107-180-48-137.ip.secureserver.net [107.180.48.137] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router1 [192.168.1.1]
  2 10 ms   8 ms   8 ms 96.120.9.181
  3   *         *         *      Request timed out.
  4   9 ms   9 ms  9 ms te-0-0-0-16-ar01.lancaster.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.20.33]
  5 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 162.151.21.229
  6 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms 4.68.71.133
  7   *         *        *       Request timed out.
  8 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms 4.15.136.118
  9 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms ip-184-168-6-83.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.83]
10 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms ip-184-168-6-83.ip.secureserver.net [184.168.6.83]
11   *         *        *       Request timed out.
12   *         *        *       Request timed out.
13   *         *        *       Request timed out.
14 24 ms 24 ms 24 ms ip-107-180-48-137.ip.secureserver.net [107.180.48.137]

Trace complete.

Try rebooting/resetting your router. If it's a Comcast gateway, you may need to replace it.

New Poster

I unplugged it for 20 minutes earlier and no change. It is a Comcast technicolor TC8305C.

It seems strange that it is an issue with all the GoDaddy IPs that I have been given (but not godaddy.com). Maybe they are blocking my MAC or something?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

captain_blair wrote: I unplugged it for 20 minutes earlier and no change. ...

I'm not very familiar with the TC8305 and only know that users have reported a number of odd problems with it (mostly VPN failures, if I remember correctly). If it was me I'd swap it out, preferably for a different model. Nothing Godaddy could do would result in the traces you posted. That's got to be your equipment, or Comcast. Again, I'm thinking it's most likely a fault in the gateway.

If Godaddy is blocking you they'd be blocking your public Comcast IP, not your MAC. AFAIK the TC8305 doesn't allow you to change your MAC address. But swapping out the device will change your MAC address, which should change your IP, so if blocking is a problem you'd be taking care of that as well.

If you don't have their phone service, consider replacing Comcast's buggy gateways with a straight cable modem and a separate router.

New Poster

While I do have their phone service (as it got a discount from the bill) I have never used it and don't have a phone plugged in. I think I will replace it as you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to help

Blair

Gold Problem Solver

captain_blair wrote: While I do have their phone service (as it got a discount from the bill) I have never used it and don't have a phone plugged in. I think I will replace it as you suggest. ...

Careful. If you replace the gateway with equipment that doesn't support their phone service they may break your bundle and up your price. They're a slippery bunch! The only gateway approved for retail purchase is the TG862, which is expensive and probably worse than what you have. The only eMTA ("telephony modem") approved for retail purchase is the TM722, which is old, expensive, and may not be permitted in your service area.

See http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

The other possibility you might consider is asking Godaddy to unblock your Comcast IP. Won't fix "traceroute", but should restore your access, and it's quick and easy if you can just find the right person at Godaddy.

Good luck!