Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Trying to switch the "Main" linked account

Regular Visitor

Trying to switch the "Main" linked account

I have two addresses/accounts linked to my online profile, but the "Main" account (the first one I see when I log in) is my old address. I'd like to designate my new address as the "Main" account, and unlink/delete the old account. Is this possible? I couldn't find any help content on switching "Main". Note: I DON'T want to manage primary/secondary users on the account, I want to manage the linked accounts themselves. Thanks!

Service Expert

Re: Trying to switch the "Main" linked account

It sounds as if you want to transfer account ownership.

If this is the case you can make the new address the primary user account.

Follow the directions here HOW TO CHANGE ACCOUNT OWNERSHIP (clickable link)

The only way to unlink an account is to delete it IF the account is a secondary account.

If you want to delete the former primary user account, you will have to sign out of My Account and sign in as the NEW primary user accout holder.

The function of the PRIMARY account is to manage secondary accounts. The only way to NOT manage them is don't click on the tab for the account.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Changing ownership does not answer the question asked.  This is about changing the "Main account" (a.k.a. service address) that appears by default when you login.  I also recently moved and find I am unable to tell the Xfinity customer portal to stop showing my old service address.

Please see the attached file.  Notice how the account marked in Blue has "Main account" on it.  I no longer live at that address and have discontinued service there.  I now live at the address marked out in Red.  How do I change which address is my main address?

Capture.PNG
New Poster

good question, I recently moved to a new place and I have the exact same problem.

Who is able to help us ?

Thank you

Email Expert

Try this------sign into your new Primary account, then go to "My Account" at the top of the page.  Once you are on the landing page, go to Users and Preferences.  Do you still see a tab for the old account from the first address?  If so, try deleting it and see if that does it for you.  You might need to sign out and back in again.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The tabs on the Users & Preferences page are for Users, not service accounts (a.k.a. physical address where service is provided).  Deleting a user would not remove the service account that is no longer active or make my active service account the "Main" that shows up by default when I login.

The only controls on this page relating to the service account is a dropdown for selecting which service account to manage and a link imediately below it that says "Rename or link another account".  This is the link that shows the page I uploaded above.  Controls to remove service accounts or change the main service acount should logically appear on that page but there are no such controls.

New Poster

Still no answers on this.  How do we change the Main Service Address on an account?  We are NOT changing the Primary User Account here.  Thank you.

Regular Visitor

I too would like an answer to this. 

Every time I have to call in I get a prompt asking about my old service address. I do not own that property any more and would like my account to default to my new address. It seems Comcast has deleted the tools that used to make it possible to remove old accounts or at least make them secondary (say if you wanted to track the account to make sure it wasn't reactivated or getting billed.)

Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

I think I would go to the closest Comcast office along with a recent statement and have them fix this for you right there.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Im having the same issue and its preventing me from downloading Norton anti virus being it reflects your service status from the "main" account, since I have NO Service im not authorized to download Norton because the system recognizes me as not being a Internet subscriber! This should be removed by default and not have us deal with it being that there's several post with the same issue with no response going years back. 

Norton Expert

Hello Otero916,

Norton Security Suite product download, activation & subscription is tied to your account for Comcast High Speed internet. If the main account does not recognize you as a high speed internet subscriber, you may need to check with Comcast to make sure that your account has been setup correctly. I can help you with getting the Norton Security Suite, but it still requires the unique PIN number from comcast for activation, which is possible only when your account gets recognized as authorized subscriber for high speed internet.

Harry

Norton Support

New Poster

I got it figured out! When I moved from my old house to the new house, I went online and I did the "link account" thing. The issue caused my "apps" to not be able to login correctly, since they were “defaulting” to the old account which doesn't have any services. The solution is fixable by Comcast. Here is the trick.... Call Comcast and get a technical support ticket generated. When you put in the ticket ask them to "TRANSFER" your "Comcast account email and account website user login ID" to the "ACTIVE" account (Where you are receiving services). In a matter of 30 seconds tech support "transfers" your email\userID to the "active Comcast account” , which now becomes the default\primary account. I am able to login into my mobile apps now and the website presents the “active” account first. The reason (Ok guessing here…) Comcast allows different accounts to be linked is to (1) keeps the history of the customer ("loyal") , and (2) the email and userID being tied to the “old\inactive” account will prevent the email from being lost. They are essentially taking the account ID and email from the old account and moving it to the other account. There is not a way to do this online nor at the Comcast store.