Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Trouble with password-protect dialog

New Poster

Trouble with password-protect dialog

I keep getting a password-protection hurdle popping up on me when I log in to Comcast, mainly to look at my email. It asks for either my email address or my mobile phone number.

It won't accept an email address that ends in @comcast.net, and neither my wife nor I use cell phones. I seem to be stuck with this darned nuisance. Why in the world won't it take a comcast.net email address? This is the only email address I use, except for at work, and I don't want to mix my professional and personal email together.

Any ideas?

Email Expert

Re: Trouble with password-protect dialog

This is a new security feature in Comcast.  They want you to provide two methods to contact you, like two factor authentication.  So in the event your Comcast account were to be hacked, they would have another email address to send you a password recovery link, and the phone # so they could send you a code to enter for the recovery.  They need a non-Comcast email address from you to do that.  It wouldn't do any good for them to try to contact you at the Comcast address as that is the one that was hacked.  That's why it won't accept a Comcast address in that field.  So you need to provide an email address from some other email provider like Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail, AOL or some other that you might have as the alternate.  

If you don't have a cell phone, you are supposed to be able to use a security question instead.  Click on the little question mark to the right of either Email or Phone Number to see if it offers that option.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Trouble with password-protect dialog

There are a number of threads about this new security protection feature.  Below is what has been posted by COMCASTZACH who is one of the Comcast Moderators/ Administrators:

ComcastZach
Posted by
ComcastZach

Re: Recvery Options Page

Hello All,

This process is in place for security purposes. It requires that you select two recovery options either by entering a non-Comcast.net email address, mobile #, or secret security question.

You must select at least two of these options before you're able to proceed.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.