Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Trouble creating email rules

Frequent Visitor

Trouble creating email rules

I am having problems trying to create email filter rulles. I am getting some emails that contain a mail address with city and state, so I tried to create a rule with content contains that address. These emails still get through. Am I doing something wrong or is there some other way to block emails by some text in the message body?

Email Expert

Re: Trouble creating email rules

Did you click on "Save" at the bottom of the window when you created the filter?  Are you talking about garden-variety spam or emails from an individual or what?  Did you try using the sender's email address or name as the condition?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I did save the rule. These are spam, have not tried email addresses as they look like made up names but look like they are comming from the same place. At the end of the email there is an address to send a request to unsubscribe, so my thought was to key on that to create a rule.

Email Expert

If it's just spam, keep marking it as such whenever it gets to your Inbox, to help "train" the filters.  Trying to use your own filters to handle such messages is usually a waste of effort, as the spammers will constantly change minor things to try and bypass the spam filtering systems.  This is a constant game of whack-a-mole.  And DO NOT use the "unsubscribe" link in these messages.  That is just an invitation to more junk as it tells the spammer your email address is "live".  You should find these of interest-------------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Looks like the answer I'm getting is live with it, not exactly what I was looking for. What is the sense behind haveing the ablity to create filter rules if no one seams to be able to  give any ideas on how to create them.

Service Expert

@rbloor wrote:

Looks like the answer I'm getting is live with it, not exactly what I was looking for. What is the sense behind haveing the ablity to create filter rules if no one seems to be able to  give any ideas on how to create them.

It's probably best to not create a filter using anything from Body content.  Filters really are most useful if you filter by the Sender/From: or Subject: aspect.  You can create multiple conditions within the same filter.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no one seems to be able to give any ideas on how to create them."  Do you need a walk-through, or just wanted suggestions on what may be a more effective filter rule?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Why do you think trying to make a rule on body content is not a good idea? I get emails from different senders with different subjects but many of them at the bottom of the email is a statement to unsubscribe click here (witch I for sure don't want to do) and an address to send a request to (this address is the same in many of these emails) why would a rule not work if I used this address is a rule?

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation