Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Transferring folders and emails from Vista/Windows Mail to the Windows 10 mail program

New Poster

Transferring folders and emails from Vista/Windows Mail to the Windows 10 mail program

I use  Microsoft Windows Mail under Windows Vista and now need to upgrade to Windows 7 (which I own) and then to Windows 10. Since Windows 7 does not include a mail program, I am trying to find out how to transfer all the folders, including the emails stored in those folders, from Windows Mail to the mail program in Windows 10.
Thank you.

Email Expert

Re: Transferring folders and emails from Vista/Windows Mail to the Windows 10 mail program

When Windows 7 came out, as you now know it had no desktop client bundled with it.  What Microsoft was recommending at the time was that people download Windows Live Mail.  It was a free download and a capable program.  (It was part of the Windows Essentials suite)  But when Windows 8 and 8.1 came out they stopped supporting WLM.  So you don't want to go that route.  Do you have the computer with Windows 10 on it now?  If so, enable your account in the new Mail app in it.  It will set it up automatically using IMAP.  All your folders from the webmail should appear in it, unless you had some of them as local-only folders in the older Vista version.  I never used it so I'm not familiar with that aspect of it.

Microsoft has a dismal track record of dropping support for email clients over the years.  I would rather recommend you take a look at Mozilla Thunderbird if you want a serious desktop client.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Transferring folders and emails from Vista/Windows Mail to the Windows 10 mail program

Thank you so much for your answer. I have an 8 year old Dell Hybrid computer currently running 32-bit Vista and a very old Windows Mail version. All the mails that I wanted to keep are in local folders, which I was hoping to preserve during the upgrade. It sounds like that is not possible. Maybe it is time for me to invest in a new computer and then switch to Mozilla. But I really appreciate your answer!

Email Expert

This might be of some help to you but it involves using Windows Live Mail.  But it may still be of use to you.

https://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/copy-move-email-windows-mail-windows-live-mail-7

In the meantime, I've thought some more about your situation.  Again, I've never used or even looked at Windows Mail for Vista, so you're going to have to help me out here.  In Vista Mail, do you have the ability to move or copy emails from one folder to another?  If so, consider this scenario----------

Create temporary folders under the Inbox folder as the parent.  Call them something like "Temp" or whatever you like.  Then try to move or copy emails from the local folders to the Temporary ones you just created.  When you enable the account in Windows 10 Mail, those folders should appear as sub-folders to the Inbox.

Play around with that and see if it works for you.  It can't hurt to try.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you so much! Yes, in Vista Mail I am able to copy or move emails from one folder to another. I will try your suggestions and keep you posted! 

Email Expert

Make sure you check the webmail interface to make sure the folders you create are there with any messages you put in them.  In the Vista mail are you using POP3 or IMAP for the Comcast account?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation