Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

The spam filter doesn't work.

New Poster

The spam filter doesn't work.

I mark the same messages as spam every day for two months and they still don't get blocked.

What do I need to do to block these messages?
Email Expert

Re: The spam filter doesn't work.

You need to get a bunch of OTHER customers to mark the same messages as spam. Since the Comcast spam filter is shared by all customers, it won't learn about spam from just one user. If it did, you could mark all email from amazon.com as spam, and the rest of us would stop getting mail from them.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Andy, you didn't mention what client you use. Are we right in assuming you are using Webmail and reporting the spam by hitting the "this is spam" button?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Valued Contributor

WHAT spam filter?  The "report as spam" is quite the joke.  To get around that, there's always the 'parental controls'; however, having to physically list a great number of acceptable email addresses simply to block one or two in Comcast's webmail is ludicrous.

WHEN is Comcast going to allow their customers (e.g., the ones who are paying them) to be proactive on spam?  (Yes, there's always Outlook Express, etc.)

MissyLaneous wrote:
WHAT spam filter?  The "report as spam" is quite the joke.  To get around that, there's always the 'parental controls'; however, having to physically list a great number of acceptable email addresses simply to block one or two in Comcast's webmail is ludicrous.

WHEN is Comcast going to allow their customers (e.g., the ones who are paying them) to be proactive on spam?  (Yes, there's always Outlook Express, etc.)

The "report as spam" button IS your pro-active mechanism and we receive many hundreds of thousands of them every-day which do mitigate spam. I've posted this before but it's worth repeating, your vote counts. Once you have the spam it's too late for you, but it's not too late for others who haven't received it yet, so your vote (and others) stop that spam yet to arrive from getting to them, in the exact same way votes from others stop spam getting to you which you don't know about because you never got it!

Jeesh, that was almost Python'esk.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

That's all well and good, but ........

WHEN is Comcast going to allow customers to SELECTIVELY block particular addresses?

Maybe that will be a feature of SmartZone.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Barmar wrote:
Maybe that will be a feature of SmartZone.

Not out of the gate, but I do keep reminding the business owner when I see him. He now knows what I'm going to ask him whenever I see him.

Although, if you are looking for this feature to block spam to any large degree it's not likely to help. Most spam has forged "from" names so blocking doesn't really help there. It does help if you are trying to ignore a specific sender that's bugging you though so hence it's not considered highly urgent as a spam prevention measure but we certainly understand the desire for the feature.

I promise i'l keep pushing for it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

bigchris wrote:

It does help if you are trying to ignore a specific sender that's bugging you though so hence it's not considered highly urgent as a spam prevention measure but we certainly understand the desire for the feature.

Keep pushing for it - it's one of those things that pops up in here like clockwork: "How can I block one sender?"  <inappropriate comment removed>

Message Edited by Michael on 01-25-2008 10:29 AM
New Poster

I would like to block a particular person's address. Is this possible? I Don't see a method to do so here. Thanks
Bronze Problem Solver

Clickable link to forum search results for "block a particular person's address".

Link to results for "block specific address".  (More than one way to search for the same answer.  Smiley Wink )

You don't see a method, because it's not available under webmail...as you'll see from the previous responses to this often asked question.
New Poster

I have the same problem. For some reason the Comcast / Xfinity spam filiter is worthless and blocks absolutely nothing. I have been clicking spam for some emails sent from the same location and everything and it never blocks anything and I never find anything in the spam folder unless I put it there myself. I have been a Comcast / Xfinity internet customer ever since cable internet became available in my area and the spam filter has never worked.

Email Expert

I'm closing an 8 year old thread.  Please post your issue in your own thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon