Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

THUNDERBIRD EMAIL OUTGOING MAIL PROBLEM

Frequent Visitor

THUNDERBIRD EMAIL OUTGOING MAIL PROBLEM

GETTING THIS MESSAGE SENDING EMAILS ON THUNDERBIRD....An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support. HOW DO I CORRECT?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: THUNDERBIRD EMAIL OUTGOING MAIL PROBLEM

jagagirl wrote: ... Excessive failed authentication ...

Comcast Security Assurance might be able to help you with this. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from http://constantguard.comcast.net/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful. If so, be persistent, and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Official Employee

jagagirl wrote:

GETTING THIS MESSAGE SENDING EMAILS ON THUNDERBIRD....An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support. HOW DO I CORRECT?

jagagirl-

Something from your home network (this is where you're seeing the problem, yes?) keeps trying to authenticate when sending mail, using a username which doens't exist.  The excessive failures cause legit attempts to be affected for a litle while.

You may have to carefully review all the devices you have at home that do email - make sure they're setup with the correct username/password.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your answer, however, I have no other problem with emails from IPAD, another laptop , smart phone.  And a few hours after I sent the complaint, the emails were going out again from my main laptop with the ThunderBird account..  The emails appear in my Sent folder, but are not reaching the TO party.  This has happened once before, & then stopped. Perhaps, I dont understand the explanation very well. At this time, my emails are going out.  Thanks for your help.

Frequent Visitor

I am having the email problem again.  The last "chat" with Comcast I had indicated it was a problem Comcast is working on.   As soon as I relay the problem, the emails begin working for a few weeks.  What is the solution???

Official Employee

jagagirl wrote:

I am having the email problem again.  The last "chat" with Comcast I had indicated it was a problem Comcast is working on.   As soon as I relay the problem, the emails begin working for a few weeks.  What is the solution???

jagagirl-

I'm not seeing the large number of failed authentications as before.   The next time this happens, can you please go to:

https://www.whatismyip.com

... note the IP it says you have at that time, and let us know?   We can take a look at this more closely by IP address, rather than your username. (if things fail before authentication works, we don't always have the latter details for a log search)

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon